Bamboo flute case

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
john

Bamboo flute case

Post by john »

Can anyone suggest something cheap to carry a f bamboo flute in? I've only ever played it a couple of times and don't really know how to maintain it either - I suppose I could used a piece of kitchen roll folded along the long side to dry it. It's a lovely instrument - really powerful tone, made by rhiannon.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Bamboo flute case

Post by BigDavy »

Hi John

Considering the neglect that my Rhiannon D flute has had for years, (never swabbed, stuffed in a drum stick bag with assorted low whistles, thrown in the car boot and left there in all weather conditions), I don't think you have much to worry about.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Steve Bliven
antispam: No

Post by Steve Bliven »

john wrote:Can anyone suggest something cheap to carry a f bamboo flute in? I've only ever played it a couple of times and don't really know how to maintain it either - I suppose I could used a piece of kitchen roll folded along the long side to dry it. It's a lovely instrument - really powerful tone, made by rhiannon.
Simple to make a case out of pvc pipe and screw on cap. If you want to PM me your email address, I'll forward an email from Pat Olwell about recommendations for maintenance of his bamboo flutes.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
busterbill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by busterbill »

Staples sells a mailing tube for less than $4 that is 36 inches long. That one is 3 inches in diameter so you you'll want a piece of old sheet, blanket or other such material to wrap it first so it doesn't rattle around.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

If it's shorter the next step down is 24" by 2" I forgot how long an f flute is...
dubrosa22
Tell us something.: I'm interested in 19th and early 20th century wooden flutes. And Renaissance flutes. And also techniques for whistles.

Post by dubrosa22 »

I use a plastic Document Tube/Carrier for my bamboo shakuhachi. Only $5 from Daiso! It expands from roughly 40cm to 100cm from memory. Quite sturdy.
It's like this one here:

Just pad it either end and it is a very economical case (I wouldn't put my Rudalls in there though!)

Vaughan
'...I want to warn you that playing the flute is impossible for those who have no tongue, for all notes must be led by the tongue; therefore, those of you who take pleasure in playing the flute should guard your tongue against mould, which is to say, drink often.'
- Philibert Jambe der Fer (1556)
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

There's some cloth bags here at Sunreed made for the purpose, I keep my Olwell bamboo G rolled up in a cloth napkin. Of course the other suggestions work well.

Hey Steve, would you mind forwarding me that email too? The address linked on the email button here works.
wolvy

Post by wolvy »

For my low D whistle, I bought a used aluminum fly fishing rod case and cut it shorter. (The non-threaded end). Works great.