A left-handed C foot

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
JCortese
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I got interested in flutes because I already play piano and harp and am interested in instruments that aren't also furniture, and that you can get onto an airplane without getting into a fight with the gate agent.

A left-handed C foot

Post by JCortese »

I know that it would be more complicated since it involved articulated keys, but is there quite literally no one on Earth who is willing or able to make a left-handed C foot? Are there really no kluges or adjustments that would render this doable? :-( I mean, it can be done, mechanically speaking.

Please someone tell me that I can throw some money at this problem and solve it. I have a 6-key Copley that I'm in love with and would really like to have a C foot for it.
--
Home flute: 6-key Copley & Boegli Delrin D
https://accidentalflutist.wordpress.com/
an seanduine

Re: A left-handed C foot

Post by an seanduine »

I'm unclear as to whether you wish for the 'grasshopper' style keys or a Boehm style foot.
Reviol could, I should think, make you the Boehm style. Ask him. Lars Kirmser is another resource, since he has buckets of old keys, and fabricates keys from scratch.
Clearly the easier course is to post mount the keys. Block style would require wood grafting or another complete joint to be turned.
I am surprised that Dave Copley himself couldn't/wouldn't do it.

Bob

p.s. No repair/modification is insurmountable if you splash enough dosh about.
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
JCortese
Tell us something.: I got interested in flutes because I already play piano and harp and am interested in instruments that aren't also furniture, and that you can get onto an airplane without getting into a fight with the gate agent.

Post by JCortese »

an seanduine wrote:I'm unclear as to whether you wish for the 'grasshopper' style keys or a Boehm style foot.
At this point, I imagine I'd take anything I could find -- but I'd definitely prefer the grasshopper keys since they would complement the look of my flute, which I'm very fond of.
an seanduine wrote:p.s. No repair/modification is insurmountable if you splash enough dosh about.
I'm hoping ... *crosses fingers*
--
Caspermilktoast

Post by Caspermilktoast »

Have you contacted Dave Copley about it? In my experience,he is very willing to take up things like this .
"What I love about the pipes is, you can always blame the weather for your poor playing..."
JCortese

Post by JCortese »

Caspermilktoast wrote:Have you contacted Dave Copley about it? In my experience,he is very willing to take up things like this .
Actually, when I wrote to him and asked for an 8-key leftie, he was the one who said that he could only do a 6-key version.

I wish I could have a C foot straight from him because other than that, the thing is marvelous and I'm head over ears in love with it. Everything from the sound of it to the velvety finish it has, to how it blows, the feel of the keys, and the ease of maintenance is perfect. If only it had a C foot, I couldn't imagine ever wanting a different flute for the rest of my life.
--
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Possibly the issue is more of maker not being a willing to work on an existing flute, but to build a complete left-handed instrument. Maurice Reviol probably woudn't shy from keying an existing flute, or making only a foot.

Chris Wilkes makes fully-keyed left-handed flutes.

Hammy Hamilton.

Casey Burns.

Martin Doyle.

I believe Peter Noy does, too.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

JCortese wrote:Actually, when I wrote to him and asked for an 8-key leftie, he was the one who said that he could only do a 6-key version.
I was also surprised when you first said this, given that he worked on a substantially custom layout including one key I don't think he'd done before (right-hand G#) for my right-handed flute. But he must have his reasons (maybe to do with those articulated C and C# keys being substantially more complex things?) when he's really so accommodating about mods and specials.

That said, I chose not to go with the C and C# keys on my Copley because the touch positions weren't right for me. So I'd have preferred a Boehm-style arrangement where the C and C# sit to the foot side of the Eb rather than up above/behind it, but probably not at the cost of mix-and-matching in pin-mounted foot keys.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
JCortese

Post by JCortese »

kkrell wrote:Possibly the issue is more of maker not being a willing to work on an existing flute, but to build a complete left-handed instrument. Maurice Reviol probably woudn't shy from keying an existing flute, or making only a foot.
It's a fully left-handed 6-key, though -- he just didn't do the articulated C and C# keys. He's very happy to make 6-key lefties, and like I said, I'm delighted with what he's made. I love it to bits; I just wish it had those extra keys.

I think I'll ask after a left-handed Boehm-style foot for it from Reviol and see what happens. I can only imagine that the challenges of making mirror-image articulated keys is the problem; the other keys are symmetrical enough that making a lefty would only be a matter of carving the blocks on the other side of the body.
--