Matt Molloy new album

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
smoro
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Matt Molloy new album

Post by smoro »

I guess most of you already know, but just in case:

http://www.mattmolloy.com/

Regards.
S.
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Matt Molloy new album

Post by jemtheflute »

Yeah, bought it recently. Like the previous one from the same forces it is a bit underwhelming compared to previous studio albums. Don't get me wrong, it's great playing, but it's pretty much special invitation session playing by the very best (recorded live at MM's). Arty McGlynn just does basic accompaniment, the melody instruments just play the tunes, nothing in the way of what I'd call developed arrangements, and the endings of several tracks aren't tight, etc. In other words, it's not worked-up, highly rehearsed concert or studio showcase playing. Some will prefer that, of course. Very enjoyable and wonderful to learn from, but neither of these trio albums has excited my ear the way say "Heathery Breeze" or "Shadows on Stone" did.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

I haven't heard any of the new one yet, but I didn't buy the first one because every time I listened to samples I had the same response Jem does. I have huge respect for both Molloy and (especially) Carty, but as a duo they sound like two great players who just met at a session yesterday for the first time.

I dunno, maybe there's a traditional duo esthetic here I just don't get. I prefer my duos really tight sounding, like Horan and Finn, Collis and Bartellas, or Perkins and Brown.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Personally I quite like it and find it to be more enjoyable than Pathway to the Well. That being said I would have to agree with what most of Jem has said; mighty playing but no Heathery Breeze (personally, I never much cared for Shadows on Stone and would take either of the Molloy/Carty/McGlynn albums over it any day but horses for courses as the saying goes).

I would have to respectfully disagree with the comment that Arty 'just does basic accompaniment'. Jem, if you were expecting him to sound like he does on a studio album I could see how you might draw that conclusion. Arty pretty much always records 2-4 guitar tracks on studio recordings (speaking as a bouzouki/guitar player who has spent a lot of time studying Arty's playing) so, if that was the expectation, I could see how he might sound underwhelming on this live album with one guitar track. Listen closely though, what he's doing is anything but basic! I also think that comment does a disservice to Noel O'Grady and Brian McGrath who play bouzouki and piano respectively on many, if not most, of the tracks. There is some really great stuff happening backing-wise on this album; there are some beautiful, nuanced sections (particularly the bouzouki and guitar interplay) as well as other places where the backers really drive the tune (that 3rd tune in track 8 :shock: ). That's my opinion on it anyway!
kenny

Post by kenny »

Caused a bit of excitement there for a moment, but the thread title is misleading, at least. It would appear to be a trio album [ and why exclude Arty McGlynn ? ] - you could just as well have titled it "John Carty new album". I won't be buying it for the simple reason that I didn't like "Pathway To The Well" which was technically great playing, and sure , all the notes are in there, but just far too fast for my own personal preference. If someone was to tell me it was significantly different from "Pathway", then I would certainly consider it - is it ?
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Exactly more of the same.

OK, I'm no strummer so can't appreciate the niceties of the accompaniment, but it all seemed rather "plain" to me. Nothing caught my ear's interest with it. OK, good accompaniment can, maybe should, be unobtrusive, but I kinda expect it to be a bit more interesting.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Yeah it's pretty much Pathway part 2.

Well they're not re-inventing the wheel here, it's not super fancy stuff, but I think there are some great things happening with the backing here on a very subtle level. I probably pay a lot more attention to backing than most though!
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

On the plus side, there are some interesting settings of tunes best known in other variants, with specific sources. There's certainly a documentary value to these recordings.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Unseen122

Post by Unseen122 »

Agreed; that version of 'The Navvy on the Line' really sticks out to me.
pmcallis

Post by pmcallis »

Thanks to Kenny and Jem for their observations. I certainly agree with both of you.
(...Now if I had only read the comments before ordering the CD from Custy's three weeks ago...sigh... :swear: )
Paul
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I'm glad I bought both albums. I just don't think I'll play them loads. It's still Matt Molloy!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
kenny

Post by kenny »

Thanks for the confirmation, guys. I hope it sells well, but don't think it's for me. Having said that, if it comes up on "iTunes" there are well a few individual tracks I think I'd buy. I'm especially interested in Track #11, and their take on 2 Scottish pipe tunes. Can anyone tell me from the sleeve notes where Messrs Molloy and Carty picked those tunes up from ? Thanks in advance.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Unseen122

Post by Unseen122 »

To para-pharse the sleeve notes they got them from Brian Rooney who heard them on a Jimmy Shand recording on a jukebox in London. I like their take, or perhaps it's Brian Rooney's take, on those tunes but they play them almost like jigs so be prepared for that!
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Unseen122 wrote:Agreed; that version of 'The Navvy on the Line' really sticks out to me.
Haven't heard the album so this is just a guess, but considering that it's coming after "Twilight in Portroe" it's probably "Paddy Jim Frank's" AKA "Pride of Cluinte" -- that would be an old Peter Horan / Fred Finn set that's been recorded multiple times (I think) but probably never with this combination of names. :) (Music of Sligo lists it as "Michael Reilly's / The Navvy on the Shore".)

Actually, looking over the track listings for the second album, there certainly seem to be some intriguing tunes on there...
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Unseen122

Post by Unseen122 »

colomon wrote:
Unseen122 wrote:Agreed; that version of 'The Navvy on the Line' really sticks out to me.
Haven't heard the album so this is just a guess, but considering that it's coming after "Twilight in Portroe" it's probably "Paddy Jim Frank's" AKA "Pride of Cluinte" -- that would be an old Peter Horan / Fred Finn set that's been recorded multiple times (I think) but probably never with this combination of names. :) (Music of Sligo lists it as "Michael Reilly's / The Navvy on the Shore".)

Actually, looking over the track listings for the second album, there certainly seem to be some intriguing tunes on there...
Something like that, they don't call out Fred and Peter on this track as the source of the set but they do say "Twilight in Portroe" was introduced to the region by Micheal Reilly and that this version of "The Navvy on the Line" comes from Paddy Jim Frank Hunt.

There are some interesting tunes on the album; Matt always finds good ones!