Matt Molloy new album

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Re: Matt Molloy new album

Post by colomon »

Unseen122 wrote:Something like that, they don't call out Fred and Peter on this track as the source of the set but they do say "Twilight in Portroe" was introduced to the region by Micheal Reilly and that this version of "The Navvy on the Line" comes from Paddy Jim Frank Hunt.
Guess I should add I have no idea if Fred and Peter were the first to put the two tunes together; it's just the earliest recording of the pairing I have. (I know for sure that six and a half of the eleven sets on their album are from the 78 era, the rest may also be...)
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Matt Molloy new album

Post by pancelticpiper »

I've been out of the loop, I can't recall hearing of this album or the previous one.

I went to the site (thanks for the link) and listened to the jigs from Pathway to the Well and I quite liked it.

Great playing of course, but what really struck me was the great recording and mixing. I could clearly distinguish flute and fiddle. So many trad albums are poorly mixed and you get a mush of sound. (Paddy Keenan is the poster child for this problem.)

On the site I didn't see a place to hear clips from the new album, must have missed it?

I do have a special place in my heart for "just play the tunes" albums, and duet and trio albums. Possibly my favourite ITM album of all time is Tribute To Joe Cooley. And concerning Matt Molloy I think of the wonderful Peoples/Brady/Molloy album and The Fire Aflame.

And I'm a guy who devoured Molloy's early solo albums, learned them note-by-note, transcribed in full some of the tracks.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle