Alternative to Cocus

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Alternative to Cocus

Post by s1m0n »

This wood is extremely hard, durable and very dark, and is one of the heaviest exotic wood known to man...
I'm not sure an extra-heavy flute is entirely optimal.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Peter Duggan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Well, I've got one (Solomon blackwood flute), and doubt you'd find it perceptibly heavier to pick up or hold than an African blackwood one.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Maihcol
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have been selling my flutes since 2010 and I have moved back to Ireland from Brazil and I am now based in County Offaly.

Post by Maihcol »

Gleo wrote:...
I am interested in an alternative to Cocus wood that has the same chocolate color that would be suitable for flute making. I have looked at East Indian Rosewood which is beautiful and also a "sensitizer" which rules it out for me to consider. I am open to suggestions? Thanks in advance.
I'm also reminded of the existence of 'brown delrin', as used in these penknife handles:

http://www.knifecenter.com/item/CA083/C ... ife-2-58bl

"...Features Jigged Brown Delrin® handles..."

Looks quite the chocolate coloured wood! Perhaps I should order some for my own flutes. I wonder if it can be finished as well as the black delrin, by the standard techniques used in flutemaking.

Garry
Garry Somers Flutes: http://www.somers-flutes.com
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

s1m0n wrote:
This wood is extremely hard, durable and very dark, and is one of the heaviest exotic wood known to man...
I'm not sure an extra-heavy flute is entirely optimal.
It's about the same density as African blackwood. Somewhat heavier than boxwood.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.