Jewel Encrusted Titanium Flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Uni Flute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Jewel Encrusted Titanium Flutes

Post by Uni Flute »

Just spotted this "gem" on Ebay USA. The Seller has a few similar instruments up, all listed as new. Does anybody know anything about this maker and his/her flutes?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLUTE-OPEN-HOLE ... Swvg9XW1z9
Sillydill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Jewel Encrusted Titanium Flutes

Post by Sillydill »

:D I bet a TIPPLE plays better! :)
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

This reminds me of the Claude Laurent flutes I've examined. A local glass worker who grinds lenses and I talked about making some glass flutes inspired by these so I spent some time measuring one at the Library of Congress and one in a private collector's hands. The acoustical profile of these didn't look that impressive. Indeed when you line all the flutes up at the enbouchure, then at the 1st and then the 4th fingerholes (I did this all with the LoC's imagery and printed the results out at Costco) one can see that Laurent flutes from early to late are more or less on the same acoustical pattern. I have no intention of using an acoustical pattern that I consider somewhat inferior so if we ever get around to do this, it will be something based on my experience with nearly 4000 flutes.

Laurent's biggest contribution was the use of post mounted keys. But even with that the flutes "needed" some bling and so there are cut crystals found on the end cap as well as on the pad cups for the keys. Supposedly to make the flutes more something for the rich clientele (Napoleon, some Austrian king, Dolly Madison etc) who owned these and otherwise didn't know any better.

I've started adding some bling to my flutes - more out of boredom with the usual rings and end cap patterns. And a desire to use the flute as a canvas. These titanium flutes are tastefully done near the embouchure - but the body looks like a real hand killer. Also, with Titanium one can develop all sorts of colorful patinas and this obviously wasn't done.

Casey
Flexismart
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.
I could open a music store if I didn't live in the back woods of Pennsylvania.

Post by Flexismart »

Here are some photos of a Laurent crystal flute that I saw at the Corning Glass Museum in Corning, NY

http://s1114.photobucket.com/user/flexi ... al%20Flute
ScottMaurer

Post by ScottMaurer »

Supposedly it ships from nearby, I should arrange a visit :p
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Casey Burns wrote:the body looks like a real hand killer
Were you thinking of the offset holes, Casey? I can't stand that sort of thing, and wouldn't be able to play it. They have to be in line - as God intended :wink: - for me.
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

Not the alignment - but the finger hole spacing, especially for the right hand with that large distance between holes 5 and 6. This is a basic problem with these cylindrical bored flutes, which are really more fifes than flutes.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Casey Burns wrote:Not the alignment - but the finger hole spacing, especially for the right hand with that large distance between holes 5 and 6. This is a basic problem with these cylindrical bored flutes, which are really more fifes than flutes.
Ah I see what you mean. You don't think it's intended that one should use the fourth finger do you?