The Last Flute out the Door for 2016

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The Last Flute out the Door for 2016

Post by Casey Burns »

Here is the last flute out of my workshop for this year. It features end cap artistry in enamel and glass on copper by my dear friend Cali Hackman of Hurdy Gurdy fame (see hurdygurdy.com). Next up is a good shop and house cleanup, followed by the arrival of my friend Irene who is a great Gaida player from the mountains of Northern California. I will be teaching her how to make Bulgarian Gaidas all week. And then I'll probably avoid the workshop for flute making entirely until January when I'll tune up a few Folk Flutes and finish one other flute. I won't be back to full time production until mid to late January. I am ready for a break! 28 flutes out the door in the last week, and only one day off since November 29. I will be busy working on a few accordion modification projects (converting a small piano accordion to a 3 row C System), some Galician Gaitas, some work on our house, and playing lots of music with a great emphasis on the last. Happy Solstice and Holidays Everyone!

m_abukhalid
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I got into irish music on the fiddle first. After a few years now I've grown interested in the flute and whistle and hope to learn those in 2017!

Re: The Last Flute out the Door for 2016

Post by m_abukhalid »

Stunning work casey!
kmag
Tell us something.: I try my best to play the flute and pipes. I have been coming here for years and now are required to fill this out for an address change.

Post by kmag »

I hope you have a great Christmas and your, much earned, time off.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

What a beautiful thing that is.

I love everything about it, the wide fancy rings, the lighter-coloured wood, the one-piece body, the short foot, the minimal number of keys giving the full chromatic scale.

If I'd ordered it myself, my dream flute, it would have been pretty much like that.

(Off topic) I didn't know you made Gaidi! I'm getting back into Gaida a bit, after years of playing Gaida in an International Folk Dance band I sold everything off (in the band I played gaidunitsi in four different keys) and have had a 15-year hiatus.

Here was my setup, four chanters and TinkerToy drones

Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
psychodonald
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Post by psychodonald »

Beautiful work Casey!!!! Thank you for all that you do. Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year to you and your family.
eilam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eilam »

i love you work....hope you have a great and re-charging time off !