Rudall & Rose 3934 on Ebay

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Uni Flute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Rudall & Rose 3934 on Ebay

Post by Uni Flute »

Hello everyone, Rudall & Rose 3934 which recently sold at Sworder's Auctioneers for £1150 hammer price has reappeared on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Rudall-R ... Sw241YUuAQ

A few observations, it appears the seller may not be aware of the patent head mechanism, as the description says the head joint and slide are stuck together. The slide appears to be a few millimeters wider in the ebay photos than those of the auction. Perhaps the seller tried to pull it apart manually? The seller also appears not to have included the case in the sale.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Rudall & Rose 3934 on Ebay

Post by kkrell »

That'll be a tidy profit if it sells (and still needing restoration). If that is an actual Patent Head, and not just end cap decoration, tugging on the slide is a good way to break it.
gorjuswrex
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gorjuswrex »

It says the head and send joint are joined together.

I've not heard of a 'send' joint?

Do they mean the adjuster plug?
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

The seller has many piccolos for sale together with other wind instruments. He/she doesn't seem to know much about Rudall flutes or their current market value. There are spelling mistakes in the description, an over the top buy it now price, and he/she obviously doesn't know what a patent head is and has possibly damaged the mechanism by trying to pull the slide out, instead of turning the patent head joint end cap anti-clockwise, so now it is quite likely stuck. At first I thought that the seller meant the head joint and barrel are stuck together, but I think the seller means that the head joint and end cap (which the seller calls the (s)end joint), are stuck together, which would indicate that it is indeed a patent head joint

"head and send joint are joined together." Gorjuswrex Should be end joint. I take it he/she calls the patent head adjustable end cap the send joint.

"full restoration needed" The repaired head joint and barrel crack look stable and the flute has had a repad judging by the brown (clarinet?) pads, plus the corked tenons don't look so bad to me, so whats to restore? The flute looks to be in playing condition, unless the seller has damaged the patent head. I'm sure it is a patent head.

If the patent head isn't damaged, and the embouchure hole hasn't been messed about with, then with the original box, grease pot & cleaning rod £2495 would be a more realistic "buy it now price".
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I have sent the eBay vendor the link to this thread........
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

We should ask how does it sound...
Francesco - Rome, Italy
TransverseWoodenFlutes.com
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

The "Buy it now price" for this Rudall has now been reduced to £2,995. I think this could be an interesting flute for a Rudall nerd, and can probably be bid for and bought now for a sum more in line with today's vintage flute prices.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

As expected R&R 3934 didn't sell for the "buy it now price" of £2995. I'm sure it's a very fine flute, and it's not a mad price for a quality eight key flute, but perhaps the flute market is sated just now, even for new flutes? It took a couple of weeks before an almost new Olwell Nicholson keyless advertised on C&F was sold, whereas 2-3 years ago it would have been snapped up in a thrice.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Rudall-R ... Sw241YUuAQ
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

It may be a great flute or may not. The seller cannot give much details to consider this flute interesting or not.
Imho the value could be even more but we have no chance to know just by those very bright pics.
If the price was half of that he would surely find someone who risk to buy it and test it.
So it is not mainly about the price but a metter of selling strategy.
Francesco - Rome, Italy
TransverseWoodenFlutes.com
csoroz
Tell us something.: Inventory:
Pat Olwell Pratten keyless in D blackwood
Eamonn Cotter 6-key in D blackwood
M&E 6-key in D ebonite
Gilles Lehart keyless in Bb blackwood
Sam Murray keyless in D blackwood (2016)

Post by csoroz »

Uni Flute

Post by Uni Flute »

This Rudall has been on the market or a little over three months now. The new asking price is more reasonable than the initial £4'000 it began with. It would be nice to see a picture of the original period case it was bought with.