Geert lejune flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Tinwhistle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well I am interested in wooden flutes and I have two for sale at present and I am always looking for peoples views on flutes what their experiences are.....

Geert lejune flute

Post by Tinwhistle »

Hi just wondering has anyone any comments on a geert lejune flute.... how do you rate them ?
Sillydill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Geert lejune flute

Post by Sillydill »

Hey Tinwhistle,

I had a Rudall model years ago that was a fair instrument, but it was old and had a round embouchure (had good tone and volume). I think I sold it to Unseen122.

But O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago who is an exceptionally fine flute player LOVED Geert Lejune flutes (much newer models). He thought his Pratten was the most powerful Irish flute existent at the time. He even used a Geert head on his Olwell! :shock:

Do a search on O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago in the flute forum.... :poke:
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

You did sell it to me I think; that must have been over a decade ago! Served me well at the time, it was the first wooden flute I ever had after a couple of years on a Tipple/similar, I don't really remember specifics so well. Being pretty novice at the time I probably didn't have enough experience to judge it properly; I think I sold it after I got a Casey Burns flute but who can remember all that?! However, I can say that when I got that flute I knew I was into Irish flute playing for life; don't know if it was just because it was the first proper wooden one I ever had or something else but I can at least say that much definitively.

Ted (O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago) certainly knows his stuff when it comes to flutes/instruments in general so if he thought the LeJeune to be high quality then it probably was! (My J. Gallagher Pratten was originally made for him; I've had it almost 6 years and wouldn't trade it for anything.)
vermichou

Post by vermichou »

Hey!

Here's my 2 cents :)

I have a D Lejeune, and it's a great instrument. I feel his instruments are just getting better over time. I went for the Standard, which is his own model. Very powerful, and very easy to get a sound out of it (very strong bottom D). Refining my embouchure with the flute helps with the intonation, but the flute is tuned very carefully.

I have tried an Olwell head on the flute, and ended up keeping my Lejeune, I felt both were very, very similar (proving the workmanship). So far, all the other flutes I have tried (some for several days) are nice, at first, but I always come back to the Lejeune (and I'm picky). It has something that I can't find in other flutes (I feel the air and the flute vibrating under my fingers, especially the low register).

It's closer to a Pratten in terms of sound, but without the massive amount of air required (in my opinion). Feel free to ask if you have any question!
Peter Otto
Tell us something.: Hi, I started having a go at playing the flute a few weeks ago and I noticed your forum is the place to be for finding information.

Post by Peter Otto »

Hi Thinwhistle,

I Have a little keyless G-flute in cocus wood made by Geert and I love it. I also ordered a keyed standard D-flute from him (after hearing Vermichou play his :)). It will be ready next summer and I can't wait :)

Kind regards,
Peter
maracirac
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by maracirac »

some of great belfast flute players ( michael clarkson and desy adams) play now geert flutes ( michael his standard rudall model and desy his pratten model). both of them used to play sam murray flutes before.
michael ballati, great player from italy also play geert flute.
i tried some of geert flutes and liked his standard rudall model the most. great tone and very easy to produce big tone.
marin
O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago »

Sillydill wrote:Hey Tinwhistle,

I had a Rudall model years ago that was a fair instrument, but it was old and had a round embouchure (had good tone and volume). I think I sold it to Unseen122.

But O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago who is an exceptionally fine flute player LOVED Geert Lejune flutes (much newer models). He thought his Pratten was the most powerful Irish flute existent at the time. He even used a Geert head on his Olwell! :shock:

Do a search on O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago in the flute forum.... :poke:
At the time I really liked the flute but for the past 7 or so years I'm hooked on what John Gallagher flutes. The keyless Lejeune I had was a fine playing flute. I had an eight keyed one in cocus ordered and it arrived in my hands and was not what I had hoped it to be. The keywork and voicing were not to my liking. He also grafted pieces of wood to it rather than using solid cocus, and the overall finish was rough. He was kind enough to refund my money and understood my concerns. I'd suggest that if you get a flute from him, get a keyless one, and insist on him using solid pieces of wood. Or see if you can examine a recent keyed flute, maybe he's changed his construction, it's been a long time. I have since sold the keyless of his that I had, my teacher plays an Olwell and took two of the extra head joints I had and he uses that on his flute since it was a perfect fit. I will say that the Lejeune was the easiest playing flute I ever had, however, I'm much happier with what I have now, I found the perfect flute 6 years ago and it still is the perfect flute for me.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

If I may ask you a question about J Gallagher flutes (sorry to shift flutes). I played one of these for about a week, an eight-key small holed Rudall, and found it too heavy for me. My left wrist began hurting. Of course I'm older than Moses. Still trying to figure out what's going on. Are these uncommonly heavy? I think I once had a similar problem with an eight keyed Grinter, but with nothing else I've played. Also which sort of JG are you playing?
Toonboog

Post by Toonboog »

I can vouch for Geert's flutes.
I recently, a month ago, picked up my new keyless standard model.
It is of exceptional quality, both craftsmanship and sound.
It is very powerfull, yet really sings when you hit the sweet spot.

I was pointed to him by Hammy Hammilton for his craftsmanship. I wanted a maker i could visit befor purchasing.
I went with a good friend who is a great player and owns several Hammiltons.
He was very impressed by the sound and ease of playing.
As a matter of fact more powerfull than his own Hammilton.
But it is not shere power. It is a very musical instrument as well.
I really love this flute and can not give high enough praise of Geert"s flutes.
I don't think you could go wrong with one of his flutes.

Besides that, geeet is a great person and a charm to deal with.
You will not leave his house before you are absolutely happy with the flute.