My new Carbony flute in D

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jim stone

Re: My new Carbony flute in D

Post by jim stone »

Thanks, this is all helpful.
NicoMoreno
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

I've never tried any of their stuff, except briefly the flute in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frCr-H-qwtg

It sounds like maybe there's more variability in the manufacture than is desired...
Tjones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tjones »

MadmanWithaWhistle wrote:
Flutulator wrote:How heavy is it?

Reason I ask: my first was an M & E delrin. Which played fine but gave me tendonitis due to the fatness and the (excessive) weight. I have a C-tipple for knocking around with but am looking for a camping flute that works a little better.

And thus, this newb hopefully passes the three-post newb probation.
Exceptionally light - it's carbon fiber. You won't find a lighter flute out there.

If I remember correctly, I think Rob said that Carbon fiber is denser than Blackwood and Delrin. http://www.apsimplepsaltery.com/appendi ... densities/ I think that’s why the diameter is smaller than what is the range for most D flutes, and probably for most of the instruments he makes. If he made them the same diameter they would be much heavier. I think this is why I have problem on occasion with the “tactile feedback”, and why many might feel these aren’t “legitimate instruments”, because of the their smaller diameters and logistics that would go with it.

After spending some time with Rob, I feel that he does take instrument making vary serious and is always trying to improve. His background is in engineering (“a BS in Electrical Engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology with a concentration in Music and Psychoacoustics.”) and he’s trying to bring a new product into the market. Using a non traditional material to make traditional instruments, there will be trade offs.
MKE_Chris
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MKE_Chris »

I tried some at a booth at the Milwaukee Festival a couple of years ago. They were pretty fun just due to their nature, but the 'D' one was just kinda 'meh' when it came to playing properties. Other keys were a little more responsive. I know that Seán Gavin tends to carry a nice-sounding 'F' wherever he happens to roam, and speaks highly of it.

The whistles, on the other hand, were class. Were they not so expensive I'd have been more tempted to buy one...