Pros/Cons of Boehm vs. Simple System foot keys

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Sirchronique
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Pros/Cons of Boehm vs. Simple System foot keys

Post by Sirchronique »

I recently took receipt of an extremely lovely keyless flute that I acquired for the purpose of trying out flutes from that maker. As my impression of the flute is very, very favourable, I'm now looking into getting a keyed flute from her. I have no experience playing any flute that has keys for low C# or C, aside from a slight bit of messing around on an old Boehm flute for a few minutes maybe once per year. I don't play Boehm flute, so don't really have any extensive experience with that.

I have the option of either "standard" simple-system flute foot keys, or Boehm style foot keywork on the flute I am wanting to have made. I am trying to weigh out the pros and cons of each, and would be interested to hear opinions from those who have played both. Are there any factors that would be worthy of consideration here? Based on my very limited non-serious experience with a Boehm flute, I do like the way the foot keys operate on it, but I have no basis of comparison with any other type of foot keywork.

One big factor for me is that I don't like an overly weighty flute. Do the boehm footkeys add more weight than the standard simple-system foot keys? Is the added weight of either one negligible in the first place? I really like the weight, comfort, and feel of this maker's keyless flute, as it is comfortable to the extent that I almost forget the flute is there, and I would like the keyed flute to be at least close in feel to this.

Though I already play pieces of music that would make good use of the footkeys, and do plan to put them to use for other things as well, I will still likely be rotating the foot out when I'm not using them to make room to brace my pinky against the flute. Do Boehm foot keys get in the way more on a wooden flute when the foot is rotated out when keys are not in use? When I don't have the foot rotated out and am playing music that uses the keys, do the Boehm keys get in the way when the key is not actively being played?

Is the operation of simple system keys more preferable for certain types of playing or ways of using the keys?

Are Boehm footkeys more durable/less prone to leakage/easier to have repadded when the time comes?

Any other factors to consider here? If anyone else here has an opinion on foot keywork or would like to share their preference, please do.

I'm really torn between the two options as I don't have experience in this area. My two main D flutes are a 5-key and a keyless, so.. any information or opinions on the two types of foot keywork would be helpful in assisting me with my decision, as I don't know anyone who has an 8+ key flute to try out for myself.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: Pros/Cons of Boehm vs. Simple System foot keys

Post by Peter Duggan »

Depending on maker, the C and C# keys may have different relative positions to the Eb. I like my Eb high (where it would be on a Boehm), so didn't get the C and C# on my Copley because that pushes them out of comfortable reach when the Eb's where I expect to find it. But I think I'd have been OK if they'd been arranged like Terry McGee's...

Copley style:

McGee style:

And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
keylessflute

Post by keylessflute »

Sirchronique wrote:I have the option of either "standard" simple-system flute foot keys, or Boehm style foot keywork on the flute I am wanting to have made.
Here is an interesting point on the subject:

With the lower foot joint keys.....the C# and C, somewhat more skill is required to use the block mounted keys, and careful maintenance is required to keep them in top order. Post mounted foot joints...in the same style as one would see on the foot of a standard Böehm orchestral flute, are more mechanically efficient due to the much shorter arms that the keys operate on, and make the playing of the low C# and C easier.
(http://hamiltonflutes.com/Keyed_Flutes.html)
nohoval_turrets

Post by nohoval_turrets »

Pewter plugs to my mind produce a very snappy note when they're in adjustment, even if they take a bit more effort to press. This is handy for tips on C/C# in particular. But they do have a tendancy to leak and stick, so I always take a moment to make sure they are working.

I find the Boehm style of footjoint handier where the foot notes are used a lot, and it's definitely easier to go from a C to an Eb with this style. I find it more ergonomic, less work.

I don't know about the weight, I suspect it's much of a muchness.

If you have a choice, I think either will work for ITM. If you think you are likely to branch out into other forms of music, then I do think the Boehm style will make that a bit easier. The older style looks traditional of course.

I suppose one final point to consider is that the older style is still a lot more common even on new flutes for ITM, so if you get used to the Boehm system you might find yourself inconvenienced if you got another flute. On the other hand, it's not that much work to accustom yourself to both, but it's a thing to consider.