Earplugs

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Earplugs

Post by benhall.1 »

Just a small point - the sound isn't produced at the tone holes; it's produced at the embouchure hole. So, holding the flute right-handed or left-handed both ears will get the sound.
TWO TOOTS

Post by TWO TOOTS »

It's such a pity that famous late 19th. Century French performer Joseph Pujol is no longer with us as I'm sure he would have some handy tips for those flute players who find their ears just that little too close to their mouths. Evidently, he gave well received and nigh on miraculous performances of; " O Sole Mio " and " La Marseillaise " with just a length of rubber hose and an Ocarina. :D
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Brus

Post by Brus »

TWO TOOTS wrote:It's such a pity that famous late 19th. Century French performer Joseph Pujol is no longer with us as I'm sure he would have some handy tips for those flute players who find their ears just that little too close to their mouths. Evidently, he gave well received and nigh on miraculous performances of; " O Sole Mio " and " La Marseillaise " with just a length of rubber hose and an Ocarina. :D
There Were Giants In Those Days.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

If you have a computer rigged up to record sounds try this.

Plug a pair of 'open' headphones into the microphone socket, put them on and play a long loud G on the flute. Look at the recording levels. Put the headphones on the other way round and do it again (in case the innards on the two sides are not identical). Do it with a C# and D (all holes closed). If you have a whistle try it with that.

Also (without the headphones) try blowing the flute normally then see if you can get a sound out of it left handed (if you are right handed). Does source of the sound seem to move?

FWIW I conclude that the sound does come from the embouchure (as Ben said above), that the way I blow (asymetrically) throws a little more sound to my right ear - and that my ears might not be quite the same.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

There Were Giants In Those Days.
Ah yes, the days when ships were made of wood and men were made of steel.
My brain hurts

TWO TOOTS

Post by TWO TOOTS »

david-h - " FWIW I conclude that the sound does come from the embouchure (as Ben said above), that the way I blow (asymetrically) throws a little more sound to my right ear - and that my ears might not be quite the same."

This is the point where the entrepreneurial among us get going to develop something really useful like " The Embouchure Baffle " :)
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

If you can afford it, I highly recommend custom molded musician's earplugs with swappable attenuators. Mine are super-discrete, comfortable, and help so much.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Will you say what attenuators are? I have custom molded earplugs and mine, anyhow, are of little help.
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Hi Jim, mine are very similar to these - http://www.etymotic.com/consumer/hearin ... /erme.html - but a different brand available here in Australia.

The attenuators are the little removable buttons with the filters in them. With mine I have three sets of attenuators, each of which reduces the sound by a different number of decibels - 9, 15, and 25.

For me they work brilliantly.

Here's another explanation - http://www.pacificears.com.au/index.php ... l?Itemid=0
TWO TOOTS

Post by TWO TOOTS »

TWO TOOTS wrote:david-h - " FWIW I conclude that the sound does come from the embouchure (as Ben said above), that the way I blow (asymetrically) throws a little more sound to my right ear - and that my ears might not be quite the same."

This is the point where the entrepreneurial among us get going to develop something really useful like " The Embouchure Baffle " :)
Looks like that useful chappy Wheatstone beat us to the punch by some considerable distance :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antique-Wheat ... SwZQxW4Y8f
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

TWO TOOTS wrote:
TWO TOOTS wrote:david-h - " FWIW I conclude that the sound does come from the embouchure (as Ben said above), that the way I blow (asymetrically) throws a little more sound to my right ear - and that my ears might not be quite the same."

Looks like that useful chappy Wheatstone beat us to the punch by some considerable distance :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antique-Wheat ... SwZQxW4Y8f
No, that's just a cheater, not a baffle for re-directing sound.
TWO TOOTS

Post by TWO TOOTS »

benhall.1 - "No, that's just a cheater, not a baffle for re-directing sound."

I know what they're called. That was an attempt at humour that simply by-passed you. :)
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

TWO TOOTS wrote:benhall.1 - "No, that's just a cheater, not a baffle for re-directing sound."

I know what they're called. That was an attempt at humour that simply by-passed you. :)
My point wasn't to do with what it's called. Your previous post appeared to me to imply that you didn't understand the function of the thing. But I see that was a joke.
TWO TOOTS

Post by TWO TOOTS »

Never mind :) :) - I'll use additional Smiley Faces when I want to imply humour next time :) :) :) :) :)