Keyless metal piccolo or fife?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
dubrosa22
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm interested in 19th and early 20th century wooden flutes. And Renaissance flutes. And also techniques for whistles.

Keyless metal piccolo or fife?

Post by dubrosa22 »

I've spotted this unusual (to me) keyless white metal flute. It's modern Boehm style lip-plate, chimney toneholes are intriguing. Plus its 7 toneholes are unusual.
It appears to be cylindrical bore. Do the higher chimney toneholes indicate a larger piccolo-like bore perhaps?

Of course the current owner has no idea what it is but I'm guessing it's a knockoff metal version of Yamaha's eight hole plastic fife ( http://www.thewhistleshop.com/catalog/o ... a/fife.htm ) and there's another 8th thumb tonehole out of sight.

It's certainly not the standard 6 hole fife. Appears to measure around 37cm.
Honestly, my guess that it is cheap Chinese tat. But the design is curious and seemingly unique.

Does anyone know of this make/design?
Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,
Vaughan
'...I want to warn you that playing the flute is impossible for those who have no tongue, for all notes must be led by the tongue; therefore, those of you who take pleasure in playing the flute should guard your tongue against mould, which is to say, drink often.'
- Philibert Jambe der Fer (1556)
fipple123

Re: Keyless metal piccolo or fife?

Post by fipple123 »

So the item was for sale on gumtree... but apparently even the owner didn't know anything about it....

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=us
dubrosa22
Tell us something.: I'm interested in 19th and early 20th century wooden flutes. And Renaissance flutes. And also techniques for whistles.

Post by dubrosa22 »

"Piccolo flute mini, only used a handful of times Sorry I have no further information"

So, yes, business as usual for Gumtree! :D
'...I want to warn you that playing the flute is impossible for those who have no tongue, for all notes must be led by the tongue; therefore, those of you who take pleasure in playing the flute should guard your tongue against mould, which is to say, drink often.'
fipple123

Post by fipple123 »

I don't know what this one would "sound" like, but when playing it would "feel" like a Hall Crystal Flute, since those have raised tone holes too.
Ingo

Post by Ingo »

I would say it´s a fife (usually in the key of Ces) which is used in (German) marching Bands

Maybe this site:
http://www.musikzeit.de/instrumente/querpfeife.php

can give you a overview (sry i don´t find a simmilar englisch site).

The renowned manufacturer in Germany for this kind of fifes is SANDNER.
http://www.sandner-floeten.de/floeten.html

Maybe you find a soundfile from this fifes?
megapop

Post by megapop »

dubrosa22 wrote:I'm guessing it's a knockoff metal version of Yamaha's eight hole plastic fife ( http://www.thewhistleshop.com/catalog/o ... a/fife.htm ) and there's another 8th thumb tonehole out of sight.
Probably the other way round, or maybe independent developments. This looks exactly like a type of flute which is very popular in German marching bands called "Trommelflöte" ("drum flute"). Unlike the Yamaha fife, the bottom notes are (usually?) going D - Eb - E rather than C - D - E for a fully chromatic scale without half-holing. (I'm not an expert, but I think thumb holes are rather uncommon here... so it might as well be something entirely different, haha!)
dubrosa22 wrote:Honestly, my guess that it is cheap Chinese tat.
I don't know about Chinese makes, so I can't tell from the picture... isn't there any indication of the maker?
return null;
dubrosa22

Post by dubrosa22 »

Thank you megapop a trommelflöte it must be!

I was only guessing the flute pictured in my original post possessed a thumbhole. I have bought it (curiosity got to me) so once it's in my hand I can examine it for maker's marks and its tuning.

I don't think it would Chinese-made now. The market for these instruments seems rather too narrow.

I found this excellent German page on trommelflötes:
But no fingerchart anywhere so far that I can find. My Deutsche is not very good.

So is all fingers down (7 holes covered) D? Or C? Or Eb?

Also I see there's various pitches/lengths available.

It should be a fun addition to my woodwind arsenal :)

Vaughan
Last edited by dubrosa22 on Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
megapop

Post by megapop »

dubrosa22 wrote:I was only guessing the flute pictured in my original post possessedva thumbhole.
D'oh, yes sorry!
dubrosa22 wrote:But no fingerchart anywhere so far. My Deutsche is not very good. So is all fingers down (7 holes covered) D? Or C? Or Eb?
Here it is! :) Yes, all fingers down would a D on a C flute (they're named after the tone which sounds with oxx oooo). The most common keys are C♭ and B♭ though, so the nominal D would be a sounding D♭ or C respectively.
Last edited by megapop on Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
return null;
dubrosa22

Post by dubrosa22 »

Here it is! :) Yes, all fingers down would a D on a C flute (they're named after the tone which sounds with oxx oooo).[/quote]

Thank you! :)
dubrosa22

Post by dubrosa22 »

Ingo wrote:I would say it´s a fife (usually in the key of Ces) which is used in (German) marching Bands

Maybe this site:

can give you a overview (sry i don´t find a simmilar englisch site).

The renowned manufacturer in Germany for this kind of fifes is SANDNER.
http://www.sandner-floeten.de/floeten.html

Maybe you find a soundfile from this fifes?
Thanks also to Ingo :) - somehow your post didn't pop up on my mobile phone.
dubrosa22

Post by dubrosa22 »

I received the trommelflöte yesterday :)

Contrary to the seller's photo (above) the embouchure lip-plate isn't metal as I'd thought but a thick white/ivory resin plastic.

No markings or stamps but I recognise the maker to be Voigt (although they only seem to have black lip-plates available now):
http://www.voigt-brass.de/gxshop/produc ... ten.html&=

The headjoint, although removable/tunable, is quite stuck. Not sure if I'll bother damaging it trying to get it apart by force. But perhaps a little heat will ease it open? It would be nice to try and narrow down the intonation a little.

It plays quite easily but I do have to really 'lean' into it unlike my other flutes. However it's a sweet tone and with an easy second octave. Overall it feels like a D whistle with a flute embouchure.
I do have to remember to finger D with 4 fingers, but it's really cool to have an Eb on a keyless flute!

:D
V
Last edited by dubrosa22 on Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
megapop

Post by megapop »

dubrosa22 wrote:I do have to remember to finger D with 4 fingers
You can tape the bottom hole and sacrifice the E♭ for a xxx xxx D. :)
return null;
dubrosa22

Post by dubrosa22 »

Thanks megapop but I really am enjoying the Eb :D

A little hot water over the tenon joint and I managed to pull the pieces apart. It was too sharp pushed all the way in.

BTW it is conical bore and it is indeed in Ces (Cb) Ingo which is kinda cool. I just play it like my C ren flute with that added Eb bonus.

Good ol' Gumtree! :)

V
whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

(Thread resurrexion.)

I came across a similar instrument recently. A keyless piccolo with ten finger holes in metal with Boehm-like head joint. It's in Db. Very similar to a range of Japanese school piccolos and may very well be intended to serve a similar purpose of being a pre-band instrument.

-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

I also own a Pastalit Trommelfluten, it is made of some kind of plastic, & has quite a good tone.
I bought mine for £20 online, & used it for a quick bit of embouchure practice, (rather than setting up my flute).
(I have the Yamaha one too.)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.