Flute Geezers tape

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
MadmanWithaWhistle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Re: Flute Geezers tape

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Not so much alternate as the correct ones.

That's what I like to hear! You're the best.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Here is John Carlos' track from the 1983 lp 'Comhaltas on Tour';, the tunes are Over the Moor to Maggie and Jack Dolan's reel (=The Bush in Bloom). Guitar by Treasa Ní Cheannaigh.

Whatever else about those tours, the silly outfits and the air of paddywhackery, they usually had a good complement of fluteplayers. The 1983 one not only had John Carlos but also Marcas O Murchú and Michael Flatley in its line-up. Other years people like Tommy Guihan, Mike Rafferty, Patsy Hanly and others who were not otherwise recorded commercially for a long time were included.

I know I have another tape somewhere with at least a few John Carlos trakcs, I'll see if I can find it (no promises though).

I'll leave the track above up for a few days.
My brain hurts

MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

Thanks so much. I've saved the track you posted, so if anyone wants it after you've taken it down they can just PM me. I was talking to John Winston last night on this same subject and he said he thought the contributions of the old ceilidh bands were undervalued, mentioning Carlos and Rafferty as great flute players in that vein. He also (quite rightly) chastised me for taking the "slip" out of a slip jig, but that's another story... :thumbsup:
carloslarge
Tell us something.: Was talking to Ben, signing up using my old account details, had been locked out and set up new account

Post by carloslarge »

[Thread revival. - Mod]
MadmanWithaWhistle wrote:Just for the record then, John Carlos' tracks on the "Flute Geezers" tape are as follows:

9.mp3 - The Gatehouse Maid / The Sandymount
flute_cittern.mp3 - The Roving Bachelor / Miss McGuinness
10.mp3 - Something / Miss McCloud

Are Hugie Travers/Garrett Barry's alternate names for 10?

Thanks again for all your trouble in finding this folks. I really dig JC's playing as well as the fun of having this whole mystery solved!

Huge thanks for digging this up, the man himself forgot they existed
Adrian W.

Post by Adrian W. »

I have that recording, but never heard the name John Carlos before today. Not that much online. Can anyone fill in the details?
In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Adrian W. wrote:I have that recording, but never heard the name John Carlos before today. Not that much online. Can anyone fill in the details?
He's on The Flute Players of Roscommon Volume 1 and Comhaltas web archives. I have his old flute, R&R #1747, probably the most-worn R&R ever, and probably not all original sections.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Adrian W. wrote:I have that recording, but never heard the name John Carlos before today. Not that much online. Can anyone fill in the details?
I'm guessing @carloslarge from Roscommon might know something more.

All I know is that I love John Carlos's playing. He'd be one of flute players I'd be most interested in meeting if I made it up to Sligo/Roscommon.

If you search Google for

Code: Select all

"John Carlos" flute
some nice videos come up.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
carloslarge
Tell us something.: Was talking to Ben, signing up using my old account details, had been locked out and set up new account

Post by carloslarge »

colomon wrote:
I'm guessing @carloslarge from Roscommon might know something more.

All I know is that I love John Carlos's playing. He'd be one of flute players I'd be most interested in meeting if I made it up to Sligo/Roscommon.

If you search Google for

Code: Select all

"John Carlos" flute
some nice videos come up.

Haha well spotted sir, John is rocking out tunes as much as ever. If you were ever in that part of the world shoot me a dm and we could arrange a tune.

I only replied to this post as I was unaware of these recordings, and was delighted to get my hands on them. Dad had nearly forgotten about them too.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wkhpg4lc2ssk ... mCVua?dl=0

I created the above Dropbox folder in response to a discussion about "The Irish Washerwoman" on the "Irish Music" forum. I mentioned here previously a cassette tape with tracks by John Carlos on it. I'll add them to the folder too. The link should work OK.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

Seems to have worked OK - 6 tracks of flute and banjo. The tape was titled "The Lancers". I'll scan and upload it too.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

kenny wrote:Seems to have worked OK - 6 tracks of flute and banjo. The tape was titled "The Lancers". I'll scan and upload it too.
Had no difficulty downloading and listening, thank you!
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Just for the record, and while we're here: John Carlos also appeared with Patsy Hanly, John Wynne and Tommy Guihan at the 2018 Gradam Cheoil, when Patsy Hanly received his lifetime achievement award, the Gradam Saoil. By the looks of it, TG4 still has it up : here , the relevant segment starts one hour and five minutes in.

[rectified typo]
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

From an undated web page of the Roscommon County Council are the tantalizing words,
"John Carlos – John has lived all his life in the townland of Castleplunkett, an area of the county which traditionally has been strong for music. He started on the tin whistle at the age of six. With the help of his father, John also, who was a great flute and fiddle player, John Junior moved on to the flute. John joined a well known local ceili band, The Killina, at the age of 15 and played with them for many years. John has been an All-Ireland champion in the under-age flute competitions and he has also toured Britain, USA and Europe with CCE. John is also an outstanding banjo player. He plays extensively in the local area, both in sessions and in a group called The Lancers, John is about to release his long awaited first solo recording.
[Emphasis added]

Perhaps one of the posters to this thread :poke: might have some inside knowledge.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Adrian W.

Post by Adrian W. »

Thanks Steve!
In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia