FS: Burns Folk Flute, a little bit different.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Gaaslaj
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm selling a whistle, I'm a long-time member, thanks, John. Looks like I need more words, wow, really hard to update this, not sure what else to write, hope this is enough.

FS: Burns Folk Flute, a little bit different.

Post by Gaaslaj »

I bought this flute new from Casey about four months ago. I like it a lot, but another flute showed up that I liked more, a Sam Murray keyless. I thought Casey's flute looked naked without an end cap, but thanks to the kindness of Jon C, it now has one! This is the large hole model, it's a real session canon, with a nice honking low D. The flute is like new. I'm asking $395 plus $12.65 for shipping in a flat rate box, John.

greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: FS: Burns Folk Flute, a little bit different.

Post by greenspiderweb »

A little bit different, because of adding an endcap? Or because you are listing it as a large holed version?

I thought the large holes were standard on the Folk Flute, other than the small handed version.
~~~~
Barry
Gaaslaj
Tell us something.: I'm selling a whistle, I'm a long-time member, thanks, John. Looks like I need more words, wow, really hard to update this, not sure what else to write, hope this is enough.

Post by Gaaslaj »

Because of the end cap. You can choose the standard or large hole. Casey recommended the large hole.
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Ah, so there are now three versions of the Folk Flute! I just went to Casey's page for clarification, and there it is in black and white; Small handed, regular, and large-holed. Not to mention, ergonomic or in-line holes.

http://caseyburnsflutes.com/ff.php

They have always been great flutes for the money, and glad to see they and Casey are still going strong.
~~~~
Barry
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

I spent a bit of time playing Casey's new large-hole model. It kicks arse. The holes are a bit smaller than the previous large-hole, and the intonation and response are spot on. Highly recommended.
psychodonald
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Post by psychodonald »

I have a Folk Flute made of boxwood. They are indeed a wonderful flute and Casey is great to deal with. I wanted to mention that he made an end cap for my flute when I ordered it, I had to pay a little extra, $25.00 as I recall. The end cap does not effect the playing of the flute, of course; however, I think it makes the flute look finished and I have grandchildren and it keeps small fingers and other objects from finding their way to the cork. Casey, if I understand correctly, tries to keep the cost of the Folk Flute as low as possible, hence not offering an end cap as a standard feature on this flute. This allows persons on a budget and those wanting to have a quality wood instrument, the opportunity without having to pay a lot more money. I happen to think that he is providing a great service to the flute community at large-- thanks Casey.
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

End caps do affect the tone of the flute. I choose to play without an end cap because the flute is a bit more lively, has more buzz, is a bit sweeter. But I don't mean to hijack the thread. Folk Flutes are excellent, and I think Casey is doing his best work as maker right now.
psychodonald
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Post by psychodonald »

Nice to know that about the end cap Jason. Thanks.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Gaaslaj, what is that flute made of? Grenadilla, ebony, polypenco/delrin?

I can't make out any grain in the photos, and it appears a dead-black on my screen.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
muep

Post by muep »

My impression is that Burns does not normally make plastic flutes.
I think the flute pictured here looks like one made of African Blackwood.
maestrosid

Post by maestrosid »

I have a small holed Burns in blackwood. It is very dark with grain only visible on close inspection under good light. It' a very nice flute. Casey makes wonderful instruments, and his folk flutes are a great bargain.
psychodonald

Post by psychodonald »

Casey Burns, to the best of my knowledge, makes only flutes out of wood. The flute pictured most likely is Black Wood. Casey has said that he has sensitivities to a variety of things which cause him considerable distress, thus he avoids Delrin due to the gases emitted while turning the Delrin stock, at least that is my understanding. For example, Casey cautions buyers of his instruments not to use scented oils as it makes him ill and he is unable to work on them.
Gaaslaj

Re: FS: Burns Folk Flute, a little bit different-price drop.

Post by Gaaslaj »

Price drop to $375 plus shipping, J.
Gaaslaj

Flute is sold.

Post by Gaaslaj »

Sold, thanks, J.