New Olwell 6-key cocuswood Nicholson-model on E-bay

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

New Olwell 6-key cocuswood Nicholson-model on E-bay

Post by Steampacket »

It's that time of year once more. For interested parties Mr. Olwell has made available on E-bay a fine cocuswood six-key Nicholson model flute. :party:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Patrick-Olwell- ... 1a0139397a
2T00TS
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: New Olwell 6-key cocuswood Nicholson-model on E-bay

Post by 2T00TS »

No doubt another top flight instrument in rarer by the minute exotic hardwood by this gifted maker. All the same, I can't help noticing the absence of a lot of features that you would normally associate with the originals made by Prowse either under the Clementi banner, or indeed his own name, that gave them their distinctive appearance; the combed head and barrel,the scolloped cut-away for the left hand index finger, the ivory bushed embouchure, the flattened surface area surrounding the right hand tone holes, the broad banded engraved ferrules to name some. Not that all or any of these features are to everyone's taste, although you would have to assume Mr. Nicholson gave them the " Thumbs Up. "
I suppose you could argue about the pros and cons of these original features 'til the cows came home. Whether they made any real significant impact on sound and play-ability, or if only seen as the quirky whims of one individual, albeit talented, player. Perhaps the absence of any of these features is answer enough in itself.
Thanks for putting this one up Steampacket - It's certainly an interesting take on an Old Classic.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"Whether they made any real significant impact on sound and play-ability, or if only seen as the quirky whims of one individual, albeit talented, player. Perhaps the absence of any of these features is answer enough in itself." 2TOOTS

Yes, I think you have it there 2TOOTS. I'd say that Mr. Olwell is of the "less is more" school of thought. In the description of the flute he writes "There is an adjustable endcap, which I make very seldom as I don't regard it as necessary, and it's fitted with a tiny button of mother of pearl." This endcap, the hand turned rings and bushed tenons seem to be the only restrained consessions to cosmetic eye candy. Thankfully we are spared the tasteless gilded Acanthus leaf style keys and rings. Mr. Olwells instruments are always functional and aesthetically pleasing
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

For Rudall nerds - There is a photo of a Rudall Rose & Carte flute with patent head amongst the E-bay Olwell flute photos, second to last before the workshop photo. I think the serial number on the flute is 6332, but on the box label it looks like 6032, but maybe that's an ink smudge making the 3 look like an 0. I don't have this one in the register.
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

and its headjoint looks to be made from a different kind of wood.
Last edited by radcliff on Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Francesco - Rome, Italy
TransverseWoodenFlutes.com
LewisC
Tell us something.: It is a beautiful day in the piedmont for playing a favorite boxwood simple-system flute. Is that enough typing to get to 100 characters?? Maybe not, just to make sure here is a bit more stuff from the keyboard ...

Post by LewisC »

If you are noticing the Olwell flute headjoint color difference, the text of the auction says it was made a year ago so has a year's worth of color change. The body is fresh cut cocus and will darken to match the headjoint over time.
L
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

LewisC wrote:If you are noticing the Olwell flute headjoint color difference
nop, Rudall's head!
Francesco - Rome, Italy
TransverseWoodenFlutes.com
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"nop, Rudall's head!" radcliff.

Could be an older patent head on the Rudall, Rose & Carte body.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

It looks to me that Patrick, or someone, cannot resist playing this instrument when handling it, even if just to pose it for photographs!
I take that as a very good sign. . . :D

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Caspermilktoast

Post by Caspermilktoast »

I hope hes staking or tying off those ladders. If I lived closer I would lend him my pump jacks!
"What I love about the pipes is, you can always blame the weather for your poor playing..."
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Can anybody read the inscription on the barrel of the Rudall's head? It looks like one of Chris's heads to me, rather than a Rudall patent head.
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Not positive Ben but blowing it up I see the crown stamp and the ll's of Rudall the rest remains blurry?
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

dunnp wrote:Not positive Ben but blowing it up I see the crown stamp and the ll's of Rudall the rest remains blurry?
Hmmm ... well, if it was Chris's he wouldn't do that, so perhaps it is a Rudall head of some sort then. But I agree with the implication of Steampacket's post above - if it is, it seems to me that it could be an older head than the rest of the flute. Dunno though ... :-?
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

... and now I'm even less sure. I have looked back and, in David Migoya's old list (I don't have the whole list as such, in case anybody asks) there was a flute in the 6xxx series with an original patent head, so the flute could well be complete as original.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"Can anybody read the inscription on the barrel of the Rudall's head? It looks like one of Chris's heads to me, rather than a Rudall patent head." benhall.1

Ben I can see the crown on the barrel and Carte, and "don" so I'm sure it's a Rudall patent head. Also the slide is fully closed which it has to be to fit into the original case compartment.

Rudall, Rose & Carte 6208 has a patent head so it's quite possible that the head on this Rudall is original too