Serial numbers of deceased Rudall simple system flutes?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Serial numbers of deceased Rudall simple system flutes?

Post by jemtheflute »

Hi Cliff. Yes, we are always interested in re-emergent Rudall & Rose, Rudall Rose Carte or Rudall Carte flutes. It would be very helpful to know more about your flute in general. How many keys has it got? What metal are the keys and ferrule rings? What exactly do all of the stamps say? Is it in a case? How long is it? Perhaps you could post some photos?

(If you use Facebook, many of us here with this special interest are also active there in the Flute History Channel and you'd be very welcome to join that Group. It's easier to post photos there!)
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
cliffcollins
Tell us something.: I have a Rudall Rose Carte flute I want to register. I have seen a website with a register of flutes but can't find contact details.

Post by cliffcollins »

Hi, so this flute was destined for the dump. My brother was downsizing my fathers possessions and put a number of what he thought were odd bits of instruments in a bag, bag put under seat in car and got missed when he emptied car at dump.
I know nothing about flutes so forgive me about the description.. it is in 5 sections, 4 are marked Rudall Rose and Carte and Co London with a crown(?) and one piece also has 100 New Bond Street and serial number 6160.
The mouth piece has not markings but looks to be the same wood and have the same mounts. There are 3 open holes on the middle section and also 3 on the 4th section. It looks like one of the keys(?) is missing on the forth section, but on closer inspection there isn't a tiny hole for the lever part of the key. Not sure what the metal is, but it does not look like proper silver. Hope this helps. Not sure how to do the photo bit but happy to send via email if you PM me.
Thanks for your help,
Cliff
cliffcollins
Tell us something.: I have a Rudall Rose Carte flute I want to register. I have seen a website with a register of flutes but can't find contact details.

Post by cliffcollins »

Hi again, forgot to add length is 650mm and there are 7 keys plus the one that looks like it is missing but isn't.(?) The wood is quite dark.
Cliff
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

Regarding the R&R register, you can DM to "steampacket" on this site.
cliffcollins

Post by cliffcollins »

tstermitz wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:47 am Regarding the R&R register, you can DM to "steampacket" on this site.
Thanks, not sure if I know how to do that?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

cliffcollins wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:00 am
tstermitz wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:47 am Regarding the R&R register, you can DM to "steampacket" on this site.
Thanks, not sure if I know how to do that?
Around here the term is PM (private message), Cliff. You have full permissions now, so you can go that route. One way is found to the right of every post field in the section where a poster's info is; at the bottom of all that you find "Contact:" followed by a speech bubble clicky with three dots inside. Click on that, and you will be presented with two icons: a speech box, and an envelope. The envelope icon is for email, and the speech box icon is for PMs. You might have to do a search to find a particular member, though.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

Thanks Cliff. I've added your flute, Rudall, Rose, Carte & Co. no. 6160, to the register now. The "dark wood" you mention is probably sure to be cocuswood. Yes, a photo of the flute would be good, if possible. Is there a box for the flute? Do you, or did your father play the flute?
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Well, Cliff, thank goodness it wasn't dumped!

Displaying photos here is rather awkward, but please do e-mail me some. You can access my e-address via my profile here - click on my screen-name and make the appropriate choice in the Contact section.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

RRC #6160 predates the extant Rudall Carte record books (which start in 1869- earlier records were lost). Rudall, Rose & Carte were at 100 new Bond Street from mid 1852 until some time in 1857, although they also had premises at 20 Charing Cross from 1854, so address stamps are not very clear date-range indicators within this period (info from Robert Bigio's book on the firm). However, it seems likely that #6160 was most probably made in 1854 +/-1.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
cliffcollins

Post by cliffcollins »

Steampacket wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:57 pm Thanks Cliff. I've added your flute, Rudall, Rose, Carte & Co. no. 6160, to the register now. The "dark wood" you mention is probably sure to be cocuswood. Yes, a photo of the flute would be good, if possible. Is there a box for the flute? Do you, or did your father play the flute?
Hi, thanks for adding to register. I don't seem to have the option for emailing you, just a PM, so not sure if I can send photo that way.
There is no box, and no, neither of us play the flute.
I notice in the register that you have put one key is broken....I am pretty sure that the key was never fitted as there is no tiny hole for the lever/key to pivot on. Once you get a photo you will be able to judge for yourself.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Well, I have acquired RRC&Co. #6160 and it's very much not a "deceased" flute but a re-emergent one. Sure, it needs some work, but it's a grand instrument! Thanks, Cliff!

There are some photos here:https://www.facebook.com/story.php?stor ... =605989270

And an as-received video demonstration here:https://youtu.be/jMWASS0LVb8

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums