flute volume

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
john

Re: flute volume

Post by john »

i'm still trying to achieve the big sound, hard d etc. - 'back' d is a great note - broad, strident and perfect for crans

but tonight it felt like i'd regressed - i couldn't settle on an embouchure position and the tone was weedy and watery

a great thing about the flute is that you can carry it in a shoulder bag so you can find on the fly practicing opportunities at bus stops, railway waiting rooms (if there's no one else there), public parks, unoccupied carriages on trains, subways and church yards (i've sometimes been offered money because people think i'm busking) - i particularly enjoy playing where i'm audible but passers by can't easily see me and aren't sure if they might be having auditory hallucinations

there's a bus station i use at night that's crawling with rats - i wonder if there's a tone on the flute so piercing and painful to rodent ears that it would make them flee, like the opposite of the pied piper? i'm being semi serious
an seanduine
antispam: No

Post by an seanduine »

John: "I particularly enjoy playing where i'm audible but passers by can't easily see me and aren't sure if they might be having auditory hallucinations."
:thumbsup: the phantom fluter :D

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
socar52
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by socar52 »

This might sound odd, but sometimes when I need more volume I direct my wind flow a little more to the left, back up into the flute head towards the set cork. But not too drastically. FWIW.