Chimney depth and undercutting

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
bsfloyd
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Chimney depth and undercutting

Post by bsfloyd »

Hello everyone! As my flute building continues, I would like to understand more about embouchure hole chimney depth and undercutting. I currently only have experience in crafting flutes from pvc. I have made flutes in many different keys - major, minor, pentatonic, exotic, etc. I feel I have a good grasp on tuning and creating a mediocre embouchure cut, and now I would like to focus more on achieving a better embouchure cut.

I am wanting to know more about the effects of chimney depth and undercutting. Having only used 3/4" schedule 40 pipe, my chimney depth has pretty much been the same due to the pretty consistent wall thickness. Wanting to start crafting from bamboo, I'm thinking the walls may be thinner thus resulting in a more shallow chimney depth. What are the effects of this?

Lastly, blowing edge undercutting is a mystery to me as well. Looking at the embouchure hole of the Doug Tipple non lip plate that I have, I see that it has a pretty drastic undercut slope - almost runs even with the curved wall of the flute. Now, I have read in several articles that even a straight drilled hole will be playable. So, what effects does this undercut, and which undercut angle have an effect on the produced sound and playability?

Just an idea, but I wonder if adding a flute and whistle making section here on the forum has been thought of :)

Thanks for the help!