McCarty Unofficial Tour-Flute Review Thread

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: McCarty Unofficial Tour-Flute Review Thread

Post by jemtheflute »

Rob Sharer wrote:Look, Mr. Pickyb*llix, I wasn't confused. I was referring to "toneholes" as being the sum of apertures inflicted upon that miserable piece of timber.
Sure. (Are you?) Ah, let's have a quick term re-definition session, then. :really: Wriggle on.
Rob Sharer wrote:Besides, doesn't matter what I meant.....
Apparently not. ;-)
Rob Sharer wrote:Have you tried turning it around and blowing the other end? Rob
I'm no trumpeter. I make enough noise anyway. But I'll make an exception and blow you a raspberry if you like!

:pint:
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

Have it you way. Holes are holes, especially around here.

Rob
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Rob Sharer wrote:Have it you way. Holes are holes, especially around here.
Rob
Would those be the type one keeps digging in? :D

(Sorry, just couldn't resist that one :wink:)
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Denny

Post by Denny »

ew! firewood battles!! I's jus' love dem firewood battles!!
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Speaking of scorched holes..... There's no danger of my ears going up in flames like Ben's (which can't go [any further] out ;-)) - too much steam comes out of them, despite the lack of pressure within......

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Attempting to resume sanity..... :-? :-? :-?

Here are links to the two video clips now uploaded to YouTube as unlisted, link-access-only clips. I've edited them into the OP as well.

McCarty Tour-Flute 01 - Flute comparisons against tuner
McCarty Tour-Flute 02 - Flute playing comparisons

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
voggy_dog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by voggy_dog »

James_Alto wrote:

What is the black stuff on the embouchure? Mould? Or did someone try to create fire by twiddling a stick through it? Maybe the previous owner tried playing and smoking at the same time :lol:

Nonetheless, the clips of the McCarty flute you've uploaded is in stunning digital quality (wow!). It's nice to see what it can do :)
Pure conjecture, but the "black stuff" on the embouchure hole may have something to do with having to drill through the brass lining to make the hole. This could have resulted in (1) Extra heat generated as the brass was penetrated by the drill bit, thus an actual burn mark or (2) Fine brass particles liberated from the sleeve could have been brought up the drill bit and worked into the open grain of the embouchure hole. These brass particles could have then oxidized, or reacted with weak organic acids in the wood, thus turning black.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

voggy_dog wrote:Pure conjecture, but the "black stuff" on the embouchure hole may have something to do with having to drill through the brass lining to make the hole. This could have resulted in (1) Extra heat generated as the brass was penetrated by the drill bit, thus an actual burn mark or (2) Fine brass particles liberated from the sleeve could have been brought up the drill bit and worked into the open grain of the embouchure hole. These brass particles could have then oxidized, or reacted with weak organic acids in the wood, thus turning black.
Yes, pure conjecture, but also imaginative rationalization I fear. Hmmm... It's made of ash, maybe he knows that basball players use flame tempered ash baseball bats and he is trying to harden the edge of the embouchure.

Regardless of how the holes became scorched any decent flute maker would have further finished the holes and dealt with the darkening, especially on the most important part of the flute, the embouchure.

It still looks like someone polished a ...Image

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Oh, yeah. Meant to comment on this one:
James_Alto wrote:the clips of the McCarty flute you've uploaded is in stunning digital quality (wow!)
Not really. Just phone-cam videos. OK, it's an 8.1MP camera, decent on a phone, but the audio is nothing special - does a tolerable job.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Feadoggie wrote:It's made of ash.........Feadoggie
NOT ASH! See the OP. According to voggy-dog it was sold to him as American Hickory. It certainly reminds me in some respects of pick-axe handles I have hefted!

Otherwise, pretty much agreed, Feadoggie.

Anyone else want to to bodge up the details of their contribution/premises of their arguments? (Bodging must be catching!) Perhaps I shouldn't have put so much detail in the OP??????

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

The Fed-Ex driver just delivered an express package, so I stopped my house painting and opened the box. I didn't remember ordering anything, so I was curious as to what was inside. Folks, you won't believe this, but it was another Pakistani flute, very similar to the one I received a few days ago, this one being mailed from within the USA. I guess they are having a two-for-one sale on Pakistani flutes. I don't know if this is my lucky or unlucky day. Now I will have to spend time finding what to do with it, and playing it is not one of the options. Probably the best and least time consuming of the options is to toss the mess into the trash can behind the house and be done with it. We are having Indian Summer here, which means that snow is not far away. In the short time before the blizzards come I have a lot of outside work to do.

Regarding the McCarty flute, I trust Jem's opinion that it is a playable instrument, and I thank Jem for taking the time to report on this in his usual comprehensive way. But whether or not the McCarty flute is a playable instrument is really not the issue here. The issue, as it has been from the beginning, is whether Eric McCarty actually made the instrument in his shop in Utah, as he claims, or whether McCarty purchased Pakistani flutes and added personal touches to the instrument on his lathe and then marketed them as his own brand. I'm inclined to believe the latter is true, but that is merely speculation but, hopefully, a step upward from "silly speculation". I don't see how any further examination of the flute is going to give a definitive answer to this issue.
keithsandra
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by keithsandra »

Jem: For all us Tipple fans, can you start a new post on how you came to the decision to remake the original embouchure on your Tipple flute, and your feelings about the results? I have three of Doug's embouchure heads - the original, round one and his larger, oval one (both of which make the flutes vibrate very satisfactorily), and his new, longer, cut, which I now don't seem to play at all. I'd be interested in what your changes have wrought, and why.

All the best,

K.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Doug_Tipple wrote:Regarding the McCarty flute, I trust Jem's opinion that it is a playable instrument, and I thank Jem for taking the time to report on this in his usual comprehensive way. But whether or not the McCarty flute is a playable instrument is really not the issue here. The issue, as it has been from the beginning, is whether Eric McCarty actually made the instrument in his shop in Utah, as he claims, or whether McCarty purchased Pakistani flutes and added personal touches to the instrument on his lathe and then marketed them as his own brand. I'm inclined to believe the latter is true, but that is merely speculation but, hopefully, a step upward from "silly speculation". I don't see how any further examination of the flute is going to give a definitive answer to this issue.
Actually, Doug, I think playability is the real issue. Assessing it was certainly the main motivation behind the tour idea. We knew in advance that hands on examination could not further the debate/concern over sourcing and McCarty's activities or veracity. I agree that laying those questions to rest is desirable and important in the overall debate of these flutes, but this tour was never going to help much with that. So our primary objective in this thread is to establish whether or not we should outright discourage newbie fluters from contemplating acquiring one of these or whether we can mention them, with appropriate caveats, as a possible option; likewise, when newbies come to us having bought one, we can advise them more fairly and far better informed than we were with James_Alto.

Extending that assessment beyond mine alone will be the point in the continuation of the tour. I doubt anything more can usefully be said about the physical nature and state of the this particular flute or about the wider sourcing debate, but others' opinions on playability are certainly worth accruing. So far we have two inexperienced fluters who acquired them and thought them OK, plus me, who thinks it's not particularly desirable but not too bad as such things go, which I think I've demonstrated aurally.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Denny

Post by Denny »

jemtheflute wrote:Perhaps I shouldn't have put so much detail in the OP??????
next time the sun comes up in the west, do have a go at it
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
voggy_dog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by voggy_dog »

Feadoggie wrote:Yes, pure conjecture, but also imaginative rationalization I fear. Hmmm... It's made of ash, maybe he knows that basball players use flame tempered ash baseball bats and he is trying to harden the edge of the embouchure.
O.K. I'm stumped. I fail to see how my description was in any way, shape, or form a "rationalization". The point was not "the color may be from oxidized brass particles and therefore McCarty is the Antonio Stradivarius of modern flute makers", my point was only that there could be a couple of reasons for the black tinge around the edge. More along the lines of an explanation than a rationalization.
Feadoggie wrote:Regardless of how the holes became scorched any decent flute maker would have further finished the holes and dealt with the darkening, especially on the most important part of the flute, the embouchure.
No one is arguing that point.
Feadoggie wrote:It still looks like someone polished a ...Image
Crude, and unnecessary. This brings me back to my original inspiration to send the flute out.... which was the over-abundance of rectally-extracted opinions regarding the flute. I was amazed at how many "authorative" judgments were made on these flutes by folks who did not actually have the benefit of seeing, playing, or hearing the flutes. It is no surprise that the bulk of these posts are hostile and derogatory. The fine art of snide commentary based on naught more the hearsay and conjecture is likely as old a language itself, although it has truly been perfected with the development of the internet.

Jem accomplished what I hoped he would accomplish: He provided a balanced opinion (a little good and a lot of bad) based on examining an actual working copy of the instrument. Yet even with the benefit of his review, there are still numerous derogatory posts from folk who have either misinterpreted or just not read the Jem's findings.
Doug_Tipple wrote: Regarding the McCarty flute, I trust Jem's opinion that it is a playable instrument, and I thank Jem for taking the time to report on this in his usual comprehensive way. But whether or not the McCarty flute is a playable instrument is really not the issue here. The issue, as it has been from the beginning, is whether Eric McCarty actually made the instrument in his shop in Utah, as he claims, or whether McCarty purchased Pakistani flutes and added personal touches to the instrument on his lathe and then marketed them as his own brand. I'm inclined to believe the latter is true, but that is merely speculation but, hopefully, a step upward from "silly speculation". I don't see how any further examination of the flute is going to give a definitive answer to this issue.
I will agree with Doug on this, the similarities between the McCarty flute and the other Pakistani flutes is more than just superficial. The more recent "table leg mutation" viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84377&hilit=ugliest+flute looks suspiciously like a childish attempt to hid the flute's ancestry. However, this is once again conjecture, and there is no definitive proof either way whether or not McCarty is, in fact, crafting his own product or just rebranding.
Doug_Tipple wrote:I trust Jem's opinion that it is a playable instrument, and I thank Jem for taking the time to report on this in his usual comprehensive way. But whether or not the McCarty flute is a playable instrument is really not the issue here..
I agree with Jem that the playability of the instrument was a worthy topic of clarification. The McCarty sample I provided was not, by any means, a great flute, but neither was it an unholy abomination that violated all natural laws of flutedom. Was it's craftsmanship second rate? Yes. Does it compare to a McGinty, McGee, Hamilton, or Burns flute? Not even close. To those who wish to hold forth regarding the lowly construction quality of the flute, I can only apologize that it was not, in fact, carved from a rare tree, which only lived in the cretaceous period but was resurrected via genetic cloning and reconstitution experiments for the express purpose of creating an exclusive line of flutes. It is also regrettable that the rings are made of cheap brass, and not of pure mithril mined from the depths of Morea using dwarvish child labor and hand-forged by elven smiths. It is sad that the wood was not hand-burnished using only the finest animal pelts from recently extinct species of arctic mammals.

All that aside, if you hold it to your mouth and blow in the embouchure hole:
(1) It makes a sound
(2) It plays in tune
(3) It doesn't sound like a laryngitic water buffalo.

Congratulations, its a flute. What more do you want?