Passing of Andrew Kirby

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jennie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jennie »

I only knew Andrew by his C&F postings, and of course by the posts that others wrote about him. Even so, I'm sad.

There is something that feels right, though, about having so much of his knowledge passed on to folks on the forum. I'm thankful that he didn't keep it all to himself.

Jennie
BMFW

Post by BMFW »

This is very sad news. I visited Andrew a couple of years ago & he was kind enough to let me play his entire collection of flutes - for which I feel very privelaged. My own Prowse came from him, at a very reasonable price after he "felt sorry for me" when I sold my previous flute......to him!!!

Truly a character, his knowledge & warmth will be sorely missed.
Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
spittle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by spittle »

As another who shared some email with him on things flute related, I very much appreciated the man's candor, insight, and good humor. He will be sorely missed.

I hope the beneficiary of his estate cares for his collection of instruments well, even if that means dispersing them to the four winds to appreciative players. It's great to know these instruments will be forever stamped with a bit of his life.
Sara (Andrew's niece)

Post by Sara (Andrew's niece) »

Please can I thank everyone who has sent the site their messages about Andrew. It has been very touching to read your messages. As you know, Andrew was far from typical and an exceptionally nice guy. He was very talented and a source of wonder for us as kids and adults - there simply wasn't/isn't anyone else like him.

I had to smile when I saw he had been banned from you site (can't imagine why...)!

To the left is one of my favourite photos of Andrew that I thought you may like to see.

Happy flute playing!

Sara
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Please accept my condolences. How you must miss him!
We certainly lacked some spice around here when he was banned....

But I am sure he is still keeping an eye on things around here. I am comforting myself somewhat with that thought.

Thank you for the picture.

Mary
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Yes, more photos if possible. Big ones.
Henke
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

Please accept my condolences as well Sara.
I was never lucky enough to meet Andrew, but I did plan a trip to England to visit him and a few other friends there, very sad that it didn't happen.
I'd like to see photos as well if there's a chance.

Take care
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Sara (Andrew's niece) wrote:Please can I thank everyone who has sent the site their messages about Andrew. It has been very touching to read your messages. As you know, Andrew was far from typical and an exceptionally nice guy. He was very talented and a source of wonder for us as kids and adults - there simply wasn't/isn't anyone else like him.

I had to smile when I saw he had been banned from you site (can't imagine why...)!

To the left is one of my favourite photos of Andrew that I thought you may like to see.

Happy flute playing!

Sara
Thank you, Sara -- and my condolences to your family. It makes me very happy for Andrew to know he enjoyed such a loving (and occasionally wondering! :lol:) family. We should all be so lucky. Blessings and peace to you all!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Sara (Andrew's niece)

Andrew's passing

Post by Sara (Andrew's niece) »

I am passing all your kind words onto the family and hope you don't mind, but I have cut and pasted many of the postings so that folks can read them after his funeral. I understand there will be lots of photos on display, so I will get copies of the best and post them on the site as requested (once I have worked out flicker or whatever web service I need to do this).

I am sure other family members will add to the many comments when they get a chance - replying to the site was something easy for me to do compared with all the hard work and arrangements faced by others.

Don't be sad at Andrew's passing, he would have been very chuffed you are all thinking of him and no doubt really cheesed off he won't be enjoying your company (whether by email, phone or in person) any more.

Best Wishes

Sara