N00b question - tone gone. Help!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

N00b question - tone gone. Help!

Post by benhall.1 »

So ... apols if this is a frquently recurring theme - I have done a search but couldn't find what I wanted.

I've been working hard on my flute playing lately. Took the classes in Drumshanbo a couple of weeks back as well. Brilliant teacher by name of Finbar McGreevy. Then had a week in Scotland where I didn't play the flute and struggled to get my embouchure back just a little after that. Got it back, and was pretty pleased with the tone this last weekend. I thought to myself "Finally, I'm getting somewhere on this blasted thing".

Then, last night, and also this morning, it didn't matter what I did I just couldn't get any tone. I did notice just at the back end of my practice sessions yesterday evening that my right arm had got a bit lazy and the fingers were sort of perched on top from a right arm that was hanging a bit limply down from where it should be. But I'm confident that there was no leakage of air because of that. I consciously corrected it and it helped a little, though I can't see why on earth it should, especially as the tone problem was happening even on higher notes, where all right hand fingers were lifted.

I need my tone back. Now! I mean, for heaven's sake, it wasn't that great to start with. :(

Help!
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Re: N00b question - tone gone. Help!

Post by Rob Sharer »

Not to worry, Ben, this is par for the course. Flute is an instrument that, if you'll pardon the expression, blows hot and cold. We all have those Bad Tone Days; I talk to my students about improving consistency as a way to limit their frequency. By consistency, I mean trying to do everything exactly the same way for your practice sessions - sit the same way in the same chair, plug the flute together exactly the same way, develop a routine to start your session, etc. Flute is a game of fractions of a millimeter, which is why a small deviation can have some dire consequences. Hang in there, you'll get it!

Rob

p.s. As a "hot tip," make sure you're not tensing up your right arm and pushing the embouchure hole past your blow.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Thanks Rob. It's just SO frustrating, because I just can't see what is different. But it must be as you say, something tiny that I'm doing differently. I'm already doing (or trying to do) the thing with starting my practice sessions with the same sets of exercises. And I'm trying to set the flute up the same way every time. I'm not sitting in the same chair every time, and there are other things in which I could be more 'consistent'. I just wish I could remember how I was doing it when I was happier with the result, at the weekend ... :-?

I'll check the right arm thing later. I'm planning to have a BIG practice tonight when I get home from work. I'm even missing a session to stay home and do it. I really want to play this thing ...
Flutered

Post by Flutered »

Maybe relax a little and don't force it?
I tend to notice a little circle - you think, that's a nice tone, let's push it a bit more, great .. then 'that's s**t'!
So you back off, come back to it etc.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Rob Sharer wrote: p.s. As a "hot tip," make sure you're not tensing up your right arm and pushing the embouchure hole past your blow.
Interesting that I haven't seen this mentioned before. I'll often have this problem when I'm feeling stressed, as in at the end of a long and difficult work day.

Particularly on my blackwood flute, with its mirror-smooth surface, it's easy to slide off to one side of the embouchure hole. And, as mentioned, it only takes a hair-breadth of change to affect the tone. Maintaining the right position and angle requires constant recalibration. And there's always that odd day when you just can't win, no matter what you do.

I've always considered the flute and fiddle both to be excellent "mood barometers"! :lol:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

crookedtune wrote:I've always considered the flute and fiddle both to be excellent "mood barometers"! :lol:
Really? :really: But fiddle's easy! :D
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

They're all easy when they choose to cooperate.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

crookedtune wrote:
Rob Sharer wrote: p.s. As a "hot tip," make sure you're not tensing up your right arm and pushing the embouchure hole past your blow.
Interesting that I haven't seen this mentioned before. I'll often have this problem when I'm feeling stressed, as in at the end of a long and difficult work day.
All part of the friendly service! It's one of the best things about having a teacher; chances are he or she has made all of the mistakes for you, and can either warn you off ahead of time or point out what you're doing wrong. Little tips like this can be life-savers.

Rob
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

This is probably off the wall, but if it's a keyed flute this might apply... I went to a session and tried to play and it was just as you say - total crap! I found that something (a hair or something really small) must have been causing the G# key to leak EVER so slightly. So, my advice is to first do a "suck test" before you start messing with your embouchure!

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

The G# key! I hadn't thought of that. I'm not with the flute right now, but I will definitely check. Now, funnily enough, a while ago I was having a problem with my left thumb just touching that key and causing that sort of issue. I wonder if that's what I was doing? Hmmm ... if so, of course, Rob's 'consistency' approach should sort that kind of thing out ...
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Hang on ... I mean the Bb key, don't I? OK. I'll check both.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Do you know how to do the "suck test"? You take the flute apart, put your thumb over one end of the section you're testing, then put your fingers over the three holes, and suck in the open end. If you lose suction, you've got a leak.

Good luck!

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Thanks for explaining that. I didn't know how to do it ... but thought it would be really annoying to ask, as it must have come up about a gazillion times before ... I will try it.

I'm starting to lay the blame on my left thumb now, though ... that and the Bb key ...
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Bad tone days, minor leaks.......he's starting to ken what he's let himself in for!!!! :D
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Denny

Post by Denny »

speakin' o' slippery slopes :D

I like the thumbs....
I'm gonna start blamin' everything on thumbs!