my grip

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
pipersgrip
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

my grip

Post by pipersgrip »

I have been practicing for a long time now to use normal grip, and it is still very uncomfortable, and I just can't play fast using it. I have decided to stick with the piper's grip on the flute, because it feels good on my hands, and I can hit all the ornamentation I can without trouble. Are there any great players that use piper's grip? and would there be any trouble hitting keys using piper's grip, and if so, is there a solution? Thanks.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

An answer to part of your question:

some keyed flutes are set up for piper's grip.
The seth gallagher flute is--no surprise
as the guy makes pipes.

There is a right hand touch for the Bb and the blocks
are set a bit low to accommodate your fingers.
Probably other makers do this, or would
if you talked to them.

Best wishes, Jim
garyfitz123

grips

Post by garyfitz123 »

I would agree with you. Pipers grip works better for me. Ornamentation is easier, and flows better!

As regards to famous players who use pipers grip, one person who springs to mind is Mike McGoldrick. If you check out this video youtube
I think he is playing a grinter(open for correction). It is a left handed flute, with a right hand Bb key!
Cork

Re: my grip

Post by Cork »

The Whistle Collector wrote:I have been practicing for a long time now to use normal grip, and it is still very uncomfortable, and I just can't play fast using it. I have decided to stick with the piper's grip on the flute, because it feels good on my hands, and I can hit all the ornamentation I can without trouble. Are there any great players that use piper's grip? and would there be any trouble hitting keys using piper's grip, and if so, is there a solution? Thanks.
Um, just to ask, but what sort of flute are you playing? That is, there are various kinds of flutes.

I'm just trying to get a picture of your situation.
malanstevenson
Tell us something.: I've been playing the uilleann pipes, flute and whistle for about 18 years or so. I've been listening to Irish and Scottish traditional music for almost 40 years now.

Post by malanstevenson »

Whistle Collector,

Here's another wrinkle to consider. I also play with the piper's grip since my left hand is so much more flexible that way, I just can't unlimber the left index finger to the point where I can move it smoothly, and my hand feels cramped that way. However, when I do use the LH classic grip, my embouchure is consistently rock solid and strong, and the flute seems to automatically be tucked in under my lip where it needs to be to keep it that way. Whereas with the piper's grip, the flute moves around just enough that I tend to lose the embouchure halfway through a tune. Maybe I should just suck it up and play with the classic grip, but I've been trying to use my RH pinky to anchor the flute a bit so it doesn't move around as much, and that seems to help.

BTW, Paul McGrattan uses the piper's grip.

Cheers,
Mark
"History...is a record of unjustified suffering, irreparable loss, tragedy without catharsis."
morgan

Post by morgan »

I have been playing only a few months but settled on piper's grip (I already knew pipes anyway) but with the upper joint (i.e. left hand holes) of the flute rolled forward about 20 degrees. Somehow it is much easier, since the left thumb can now support the instrument better.

I know almost nothing about flute grip but do know a bit about ergonomics. Normal grip, with the sharply angled fingers, seems inherently constricted to me. Obviously many great players make it work, but many others find it hard on the tendons.
Denny

Post by Denny »

yes....I firmly believe that you should get one!

doesn't Doc sell those?
scheky
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by scheky »

Now I'm not suggesting anything at all here, so don't look too deeply into it, but personally I just can't do the piper's grip on the flute.

Basically, with the piper's grip, all the weight of my flute is on my left thumb. Given what a Seery Delrin weighs, that leads to aches very quickly. Normal grip works great for me...as long as I don't grip things too tight.

If I could learn to relax more, I'd finally get the hang of this durned thing.
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

Cork wrote:
The Whistle Collector wrote:I have been practicing for a long time now to use normal grip, and it is still very uncomfortable, and I just can't play fast using it. I have decided to stick with the piper's grip on the flute, because it feels good on my hands, and I can hit all the ornamentation I can without trouble. Are there any great players that use piper's grip? and would there be any trouble hitting keys using piper's grip, and if so, is there a solution? Thanks.
Um, just to ask, but what sort of flute are you playing? That is, there are various kinds of flutes.

Casey Burns Folk Flute.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

Thanks for all of the advice and name of great players.
Cork

Post by Cork »

The Whistle Collector wrote:
Cork wrote:

Casey Burns Folk Flute.
Well, in that case I'd say that your options are pretty much wide open.
rebelpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by rebelpiper »

malanstevenson wrote:Whistle Collector,

However, when I do use the LH classic grip, my embouchure is consistently rock solid and strong, and the flute seems to automatically be tucked in under my lip where it needs to be to keep it that way. Mark
mark, i feel your pain...this is my situation completely. i use the pipers grip but it seems harder to hit the bottom D and overall my sound is not as good, but when i switch to the classic grip my sound is solid and that bottom D jumps out. so i tend to switch back and forth between the two grips hoping that one day the classic grip will feel comfortable or the pipers grip will sound better.

my other problem is thumb strain with the pipers grip.
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

rebelpiper wrote:
malanstevenson wrote:Whistle Collector,

However, when I do use the LH classic grip, my embouchure is consistently rock solid and strong, and the flute seems to automatically be tucked in under my lip where it needs to be to keep it that way. Mark
mark, i feel your pain...this is my situation completely. i use the pipers grip but it seems harder to hit the bottom D and overall my sound is not as good, but when i switch to the classic grip my sound is solid and that bottom D jumps out. so i tend to switch back and forth between the two grips hoping that one day the classic grip will feel comfortable or the pipers grip will sound better.

my other problem is thumb strain with the pipers grip.
Same here, but if I use the normal grip, my pointer finger can't move that well, and I just can't play at all when I use it. I find Micheal McGoldrick's way pretty good, where the top of his flute rests on his shoulders a bit.
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

I just started learning this month and have all the same problems. For now, I'm just practicing both ways.
PS to Rebelpiper- I've heard of Hooley before. Heard you guys were pretty good! Maybe one day I can make the trek from Auburn and see ya'll play.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Classical Grip takes some getting used to
and lots of people have trouble initially.
Nothing the matter with pipers grip, each has
its own advantages, IMO. I've used both.

About classical. Some measures that may ease things:

1. It's possible to get more extention for the left index,
which is therefore easier to move, by fashioning
a bopep out of clear plastic hose. You can buy this
cheap at a hardware store. Cut off a section an inch or
two long, slit it lengthwise and put it over the flute
just over the B hole.

I used this for a good while until finally I no longer needed it.
Also it gives a broad contact for the flute to rest on the base of
the left index finger,
and it's a bit more tacky than wood.

2. I've pasted rectangles of moleskin at appropriate places
on the flute--above the B hole, where the right thumb goes,
where the rt pinky goes, even where the left thumb goes.
Then put some superglue on the OUTSIDE of the moleskin.
When this dries it makes a very rough surface that becomes
a more comfortable with use.

This gives you a wonderfully firm grip, and that helps one
relax a good deal while using classical grip.

3. Exercise. Hold the flute against your lip using the base of
the left index, the left thumb, the rt thumb and the rt pinky
BUT THE OTHER FINGERS OFF. So no holes are covered.
Just hold the flute this way and feel how firm and stable
you can make it.

THEN, place the fingers on the holes in the most gentle
and relaxed way you can, without tension, so that they
do no work in holding the flute, they just cover the holes.

When playing, if you start having trouble with your hole covering
fingers, stop playing and review this basic position, fingers
off the holes. Then place the fingers on the holes in the most
relaxed way you can. Repeat as often as necessary,
many times if necessary.

Classical grip is a bottom up affair, IMO. If the bottom is solid
and the fingers aren't tense or working to hold the flute,
they are more likely to move easily and less likely to cramp, etc.

FWIW.