For Sale - JonC Blackwood flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
MikeC
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

For Sale - JonC Blackwood flute

Post by MikeC »

Hello All - I'm selling my Cochran keyless blackwood RR style with large holes. It has a partially lined head with a Terry McGee tuning slide. It has fancy rings which are very nice. I bought the flute about a year ago.

The flute is well made with attention to detail. the holes are cut nice and cleanly. The embouchure hole is also nice and clean. I've kept it well oiled and it's in as-new condition.

As far as sound goes, I don't have much to compare it to. It plays far more easily for me than the M&E it replaced. It's a bit louder than my german flute. it is also very light (partially line head).

Jon repaired my old german 8 key a few months ago and I've really taken a shine to it. Now that I've gone chromatic, I don't want to go back. I prefer to play one flute only, and I hate to see such a beautiful flute played so infrequently. I've never been much of a collector of anything, especially expensive flutes.

I'm asking $570, I'll pay shipping. US only please, I'm just too lazy to deal with international shipping. US Postal money order only.

I don't know how long Jon's current wait is, but I waited six months. The wait for this flute will be considerably shorter. Please PM me if interested.

Cheers,
Mike
Aanvil
antispam: No

Post by Aanvil »

Hmm... tempted.

I have a couple of keyed Germans and really nice keyed French.

I also have a Jon C. Pratten keyless and have played his very current Rudals.

He's just up the street actually.

If you need the money... I totally understand, but, I wouldn't sell it if I were you. Not yet anyway.

If you are in love with your German I really think you might out grow it... In fact I'd put money on it.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
roj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Have been a member since '07. Just changing my home town in the profile from Austin to FBG, Tx. j.r.

Post by roj »

If I didn't already have two Cochran R&Rs, this flute would be on its way to Nevada. Jon's blackwood made me a better player overnight, (except for those two or three days in the second week when I forgot how to play).
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Well I'm here in Britain or I'd send ya a pm for it.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

Someone is going to get a very nice flute...my R&R from Jon is an absolute canon and its a joy to play because you can really push it. This is worth the money....even if you were just thinking about trying out one of Jon's flutes.
azw

Post by azw »

This is so tempting. I'd have to sell my Casey Burns with custom wrought iron rings in a leaf pattern first, though.

Noobie question: What do the large holes do compared to smaller holes?
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

They are alleged to increase volume.
Also facilitate half-holing.
azw

Post by azw »

Oh, I see. A larger hole probably would make half-holing easier. Thanks, Jim!
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

azw wrote:This is so tempting. I'd have to sell my Casey Burns with custom wrought iron rings in a leaf pattern first, though.

Noobie question: What do the large holes do compared to smaller holes?
This will no doubt be gone before you sell your flute, but larger holes usually means a greater volume, not as much nuance, but it's too general a question, and it depends a lot on you and your embouchure.

My advice-if you want a new flute, sell yours, and buy one that appeals to you, try it and see how you relate to it. It's really the only way to tell. All the rest is just dealing in generalities, and not that helpful until you play it.
~~~~
Barry
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

bump!

I've had a lot of nibbles but no bites yet!

Aanvil, it's not so much that I need the money, it's more the case that I need to pay for my new concertina (I guess that means I need the money :) ).

MC
sponge
Tell us something.: irish music, specifically slow airs played on different whistle keys, also lower keyed flutes like Bb, but only from modern makers who have managed to get the hole spacing a little closer. And finally learning some fiddle tunes, mainly slow airs again so that the whole family don't go mad with the sound of a cat being strangled.

Post by sponge »

Hi Mikec,

international shipping is pretty straight forward using USPS global or express priority, I have bought a fair few instruments from Doc Jones,
with no trouble sometimes a bit of a delay with customs, I'm not after the flute but I think that - Cofaidh is interested in a purchase seems a shame to turn down a sale for a little extra work.

sponge :D
desutoroiyaa

Post by desutoroiyaa »

PM sent.

I'm totally new here, but I hope that doesn't disqualify me. I've been looking for a good keyless blackwood to play and I'd love to take advantage of the opportunity.

I'll introduce myself later when I have the time. : )
MikeC

For Sale - JonC Blackwood flute (promised)

Post by MikeC »

The flute's been promised. I'll let you know if things fall through. Thanks for the interest!
MC