How big are hands...

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
In The Woods
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

How big are hands...

Post by In The Woods »

OK, I took the plunge and ordered an Ergonomic Standard flute from Casey Burns. In conversation with him he suggested that I might be interested in his large-hole standard, since I already play a Tipple (in D). What has been other people's experience with playing a large hole or a Pratten design?

I realize that Casey's new design is maybe too new to comment upon, but some of you may have some input on a Pratten design. I can play my Tipple and get some good flooty sounds from it, I just can't play it very fast (yet). How big do one's hands have to be to play a large hole flute?

Thank you to all who reply.

With best regards,

Steve Mack

PS: If it looks favorable, I may go with the loud flute; I like loud, reminds me of my Highland pipes! :lol:
Ring the bells that still can ring.
Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack in everything.
That's how the light get's in.

Leonard Cohen
rh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rh »

I haven't played a Tipple. I do have rather large hands. I have played a Seery Pratten-style for years and now i play a Burns Pratten in boxwood. In my opinion the Burns is much easier to play than the Seery and the stretch (especially on the bottom hand) is significantly less. The tone holes are offset, which adds to the playability. The embouchure is also very forgiving, and it is easy to get a nice tone without working very hard -- of course, as my lips get stronger it only sounds better.

I suspect the standard model would be at least as easy to play as the Pratten.
there is no end to the walking
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

My experience is similar to rh's. I have (and love) a Tipple with offset holes. I have also owned a Seery, and now have a Burns Large-Holed Ergo Standard, (the new design you mentioned).

My hands are average adult male, certainly not large. I found the Seery a bit difficult, but not terribly. It's a very good flute. The Tipple feels better to me, but I can't really get the speed or accuracy I want. So far I'm very pleased with the Burns, (just a few months in). Great feel, great sound, and I'm more accurate and comfortable than on the others. I'm sure you'll be pleased with it.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

I have long thin fingers, so a reach is no problem for me. I do find on my Tipple that the holes are so big that my pointy fingertips dip into the hole (especially left hand index finger). It seems to me that it affects the tuning of the note a little bit, so I've gravitated to smaller holes. I like the pop that I get from smaller holes.

I also have offset holes on the Tipple, which I started on, but I have since learned to love in-line holes. It feels more stable with all my fingers acting in the same line parallel to the bore of the flute.

I don't know, just my own kooky experiences.

Cheers!
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Steve,

You have a fluter in your area (Sliabh Luachra) that has one-why not get in touch with him and see if you can handle it? Remember, where you first got the inspiration? Did you order Boxwood too?

And if you promise him you won't lick it, he just might let you hold it again! :wink:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ht=boxwood
~~~~
Barry
BillG

Post by BillG »

Stanley - I play a Jon C large hole Pratten (Mopane) and I have average sized hands - I guess. It takes me a few minutes to get warmed up so that all of my fingers, especially Left 2 and 3, come down firmly on the holes covering them completely. After a few minutes, all are covered with little challenge. If my hands a very dry I need to apply a cream type lotion or I can't cover the holes completely - and that is frustrating!

Do well with your flute and stay at it.
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
In The Woods

Post by In The Woods »

Barry:

I ordered the flute in mopane (budget consideration) so I could at least *get* a flute sooner. Boxwood later.

Regards,

Steve Mack
Ring the bells that still can ring.
Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack in everything.
That's how the light get's in.

Leonard Cohen
sbhikes

Post by sbhikes »

I might want my next flute to be Mopane. My current one is Mopane and I just love the smell. I am very bothered when I don't like the smell. I'm pretty sensitive to those things.
~Diane

My Credentials as a rank beginner on the flute
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

I don't know anyone who is physically incapable of handling a Pratten-style instrument, although it might take practice to learn to cover bigger holes consistently.
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Ro3b wrote:I don't know anyone who is physically incapable of handling a Pratten-style instrument, although it might take practice to learn to cover bigger holes consistently.
Yes, provided they can handle the stretch of the hole placement. There are many who have small hands that although some could play a long hole stretch, but may do better if the stretch is comfortable to them.

But there are Pratten based flutes (like Casey's Standard or large holed Standard, and others) that have varying hole configurations that may allow you to play one (along with piper's grip on the bottom if needed)-so don't rule one out just because it is modeled after a Pratten.
~~~~
Barry
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

In The Woods wrote:Barry:

I ordered the flute in mopane (budget consideration) so I could at least *get* a flute sooner. Boxwood later.

Regards,

Steve Mack
I doubt you will be disappointed with the Mopane-and you might even prefer it to Boxwood. A lot of people have made very favorable comments about their Mopane flutes.

And I can understand wanting it sooner too! Good luck!
~~~~
Barry
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

I don't know about Casey's flutes, but there's not too much difference between Patrick Olwell's different models as regards the space between the holes. I assume this is true of most flute makers. Hole size is a different story, of course.
rh

Post by rh »

Ro3b wrote:I don't know about Casey's flutes, but there's not too much difference between Patrick Olwell's different models as regards the space between the holes. I assume this is true of most flute makers. Hole size is a different story, of course.
Casey's flutes (or at least the one i have) are definitely different in terms of spacing. I haven't bothered to measure, but the bottom hand reach is shorter between the middle and ring fingers... in fact, if i go from playing the Seery to the Burns Pratten, i have to be careful not to overshoot the last tonehole. Of course, after playing for a couple of minutes there's no problem adjusting.
there is no end to the walking
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

Congratulations on you forthcoming Casey Burns flute. I purchased a used Casey Burns Firth & Pond and I must state that it is a work of art; trust me as I am not given to hyperbole.

It's a medium hole, Rudall which allows one to twist the lower barrel for optimum finger touch; much like the offset holes on your new one.

I do have large hands. They measure about 9 1/2 " from tip of thumb to tip of little finger. I do not have any problem with stretch; however, my fingers are rather slender. Large holes are a challenge for me.

So if you fingers are of average girth you should have no problem. All the best and please consider doing a review. Cyril.
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

While this may not be relevant to your question (too lazy right now to go back and re-read the thread), I had a Folk Flute for a while last year and the hole spacing wasn't very different from my GLP. hole size wasn't a great deal different as I recall. I believe that my folk flute was the "standard" one, not the small hands one, but I'm not sure. I got it second hand.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.