Where to "try out" flutes in Portlland Or.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
BmacD
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Where to "try out" flutes in Portlland Or.

Post by BmacD »

I'm going to be visiting family in downtown Portland about the first of June . Are there any music stores there that would allow a few test tunes on simple system or baroque instruments? Can't do sessions , can't tolerate tobacco smoke . Too bad, there seems to be several sessions a week in the local pubs. Therefore I suppose my only other choice is music stores . Thanks.
Bruce
We have enough youth. How about a "fountain of smart".
eilam

Post by eilam »

Bruce, if you switch to Pipes, you could wear a respirator !
AndrewK AKA BigTex :D :D
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

http://www.artichokemusic.com/index.asp

http://portlandor.about.com/od/musicanddancing/

might be a start... if the 1st one doesn't work they should at least be able to direct you.
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

There are a couple of sessions in the area. The best would be at the Alberta St. Pub on Friday nights from 9--late. It's non-smoking if that makes any difference to you. Several fluters tend to show up often and there are some nice flute specimens among us including a Byrne, a Dave Williams, a McGee-Hamilton mutt (that'd be mine), and most recently, a goregeous new keyless Noy, which is quite simply one of the most enjoyable flutes I've ever played.

Oh yeah, there are people who play other instruments that show up there, too.
Jon C.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

The Sporting Pitchfork wrote:There are a couple of sessions in the area. The best would be at the Alberta St. Pub on Friday nights from 9--late.
I was there last summer, I went to a concert there, N. Parsons. Ddn't go to the seesion there but they are a nice bunch up there.
It's non-smoking if that makes any difference to you. Several fluters tend to show up often and there are some nice flute specimens among us including a Byrne, a Dave Williams, a McGee-Hamilton mutt (that'd be mine), and most recently, a goregeous new keyless Noy, which is quite simply one of the most enjoyable flutes I've ever played.
So, she finely got the Noy flute! :party:

Jon
anton

portland

Post by anton »

It looks like i am going to be visiting Portland about the first week of July. I will have to stop in some of those sessions and say hello. My girlfriend and I are thinking about moving there next year. Is there a good size celtic music scene/community there? Two sessions a week would be lovely, much more than the two a month i play in now.

anton
BmacD

Post by BmacD »

Thanks everyone ! I really wish I was going to be there longer .
Bruce
We have enough youth. How about a "fountain of smart".
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: portland

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

anton wrote:It looks like i am going to be visiting Portland about the first week of July. I will have to stop in some of those sessions and say hello. My girlfriend and I are thinking about moving there next year. Is there a good size celtic music scene/community there? Two sessions a week would be lovely, much more than the two a month i play in now.

anton
Oh yes, it's quite a nice scene up here...can't complain. We've got a whole gaggle of top notch fiddlers around (either Kevin Burke's presence or something in the water...I don't know...), Johnny Connolly and Mikie Beglan on box, "Not-So-Famous" Seamus Egan on banjo, Jim Chapman on bouzouki, Cary Novotony on gee-tar, Kevin Reitmann and myself on pipes...Hell, there are even a couple of decent bodhran players in town.

The more the merrier...As long as you don't play bodhran...Two's enough.