G# on a rosewood Sweetheart

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
KateG
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

G# on a rosewood Sweetheart

Post by KateG »

So, my fellow Sweet players, how do you finger G#? I find half-holing the G hole produces an incredibly anemic note, and putting bottom hand fingers down while playing an A has not effect on the A whatsoever. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks,
Kate
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I use the G# key to great effect! :P

But, I was playing around with non-keyed versions just the other day. Half holing isn't the best (I find G# half holed in the low octave pretty poor on most flutes). In the lower octave XXO XXX with decreased breath pressure and possibly a slight roll in of the flute gets it in tune, but it is a tad muted. The upper octave XXO XOO is great, though.

It's key to make sure the tennon is pulled out enough that the flute isn't playing sharp or the XXO XXX will not drop from an A.

I hope that helps.

Eric
KateG

Post by KateG »

I knew you'd say that about the G# key -- I'm a savin' my pennies! :D

xx0 xxx gives me A. In fact, any combination of xx0 - - - gives me A. As for the tenon, the Sweet doesn't have a tuning slide, and plays in pitch with the head joint firmly pushed in. Actually, I'd be afraid to pull it out -- in my youth as a Boehm player, I had a definate tendancy to play flat. I can now keep my tuner happy, as long as I watch my posture, support and embouchure.

Thanks for the feedback and happy fluting!

Kate
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Kate,

I play sharp, and my headjoint when cold (like winter cold) is flush with the body. When the flute is warm, it's pulled out about 5mm. I wonder if that makes a difference?

Eric
BmacD

Post by BmacD »

I can't help on the Sweet, but I thought that I'd mention that G# can be cross fingered quite well on a small holed Aulos traverso. Also ,I've found G# easy to half hole on large diameter large hole cylindrical flutes like the Tipple or with somewhat more effort an Olwell bamboo.
Bruce
We have enough youth. How about a "fountain of smart".
KateG

Post by KateG »

Half holing my Tipple works fine -- as you say, it has big holes. It's the Sweet that's giving me problems. Looks like I'll have to save harder for a flute with keys -- oh, but what to choose :(