Delrin flute suggestions for 2024?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Delrin flute suggestions for 2024?

Post by pancelticpiper »

Loren wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:57 am Says the guy who plays bagpipes! :lol:
Yes, and I only play wood bagpipes because Delrin pipes are much heavier.

It doesn't make sense for makers use the same wall-thickness they use for wood, when using a much heavier denser material like Delrin.

There is one maker, Roddy MacLellan, who makes a thinned-wall composite Delrin Highland pipe. The outer wall is thin Delrin, the inner wall is some sort of polymer which gives a warmer tone and absorbs moisture (condensation buildup is bad for stability of tone). These pipes are lightweight and sound quite like wooden pipes. https://www.maclellanbagpipes.com/revelation
Loren wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:57 am Which Delrin flutes have you tried? Since you haven’t played flute in decades?

Right, I gave up flute and switched to Low Whistle around 2005. The issue is ergonomics. I still try flutes whenever I encounter them. I've given a blow on dozens of plastic flutes over the years, all of them were very heavy. I think a lightweight flute might be do-able for me, probably either boxwood, aluminium, or a thinned-wall Delrin.
Loren wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:57 am Check the flute weights thread I started.
Thanks for doing the flute weights! I'll check that out.
Loren wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:57 am Things have moved along a bit. That said, some makers still make their Delrin flutes too darn heavy...
I think that's to be expected if they're using wood flute OD's.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

I'm also very interested in a keyed Delrin flute. I have a Forbes keyless with is very light and loud, with big holes and a big squarish embouchure cut. Nice tone, well in tune, loud. Big embouchure cut makes it hard work to get the air out of the tone. I have a Copley which is heavier, smaller embouchure cut and smaller finger holes. Very focused tone and nimble. Noticeably heavier than the Forbes.

Very interested in what Thompson is doing
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

PB+J wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:41 pm Very interested in what Thompson is doing
I can let you know in 9 to 15 months. I have a 6 key for sure, but possibly an 8 key (if he gets that working with his unique mounts) on the way. I had a Baubet keyless and 5 key that were on the lighter side (partially lined headjoints), but I can't recall what they weighed. Ben Power has the 5 key...JD has the keyless.

Eric
Flotineer
Tell us something.: New fluter. Recovering piper... What with one thing and another I’m learning the flute, but I’ve been learning Irish music for a while now.

Post by Flotineer »

PB+J wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:41 pm Very interested in what Thompson is doing
I can add that he’s not doing keyed flutes in F at the moment. I do own a keyless F and keyless D, both of which are lovely.
Tradman
Tell us something.: Ready to be a decent flute player again! I took a break of about 17 years and it's been way too long.

Post by Tradman »

I can say without any hesitation that Dave Copley makes excellent flutes. I've got a six key blackwood flute from him and I've tried a delrin Bb (the beast it is).
Eric T
Waycross, GA USA
Dave Copley 6 Key
Ormiston Keyless
Roy MacManus blackwood high- D
Sindt high- D
Various Chieftain Low Whistles
Tonehole
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tonehole »

The Copley & Boegli delrin flute is my favourite travel waterproof flute too. The intonation is very good although the third octave sounds flat (not many people here go there I suppose) I need to play more with the adjustable head cork which I keep forgetting is adjustable.

It's a shame Glen Le Bot's resin flutes don't get much exposure here for his keyed flutes. The Boosey & Hawkes ebonite keyed flutes and the Rudall Carte Rockstro in ebonite still sound outstanding. They sound so good compared to the contemporary flutes albeit not ideal for camping.

The ebonite is discontinued due to its carcinogenic potential. I guess that's why silver lip plates are handy.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Whatever happened with Casey Burns' 3D printed flute project?

It was looking very promising, great-sounding lightweight flutes for a low price.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
TKing
Tell us something.: Trad music fan in general, fledgling flute maker and player. I am interested in all things trad music, but especially discussions around flute and whistle making, interesting playing techniques/issues, and tunes generally.

Post by TKing »

pancelticpiper wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:22 pm Whatever happened with Casey Burns' 3D printed flute project?

It was looking very promising, great-sounding lightweight flutes for a low price.
He made a post of Facebook maybe a month ago updating saying he was soon to stop taking orders for keyed flutes and has stopped bulk producing his folk flute, moving to a waiting list model for those. He's still making his standard model flutes. He followed by saying he is "tooling up to 3D print" his flutes and says he's had some good success with his prototyping. He also will be starting up (and hopefully documenting!) his glass flute project again.