Smallest Pistol Type Case for 8 Key flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Re: Smallest Pistol Type Case for 8 Key flute

Post by Jayhawk »

I agree Terry...especially for us Rudall/3-piece flute players out there. If you have a pratten, you can shoehorn them into a Boehm case fairly well.

As I stated earlier, I do have a gorgeous wooden case, but it's so dang pretty I worry about beating it up. Maybe I just need to stop worrying about that. It's pretty close to ideal size and was custom made for me by my bandmate's father at a ridiculously low price (I paid him quite a bit more than he asked...after all he said, he just had the wood lying around).

Still, despite the size being good...it's heavy being made of walnut. A nice plastic case of the same dimensions would be ideal. Loren's link is intriguing, but I can't get anything smaller than my pistol case from that company. They're more about the foam and using pre-existing sized cases. I likely will go looking at an art supply store with my flute in hand. This looks promising, but the one compartment with the hinges may be too small for any of my keyed flute pieces: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002PIB0D6/?c ... _lig_dp_it

Eric
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Jayhawk wrote:I likely will go looking at an art supply store with my flute in hand. This looks promising, but the one compartment with the hinges may be too small for any of my keyed flute pieces: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002PIB0D6/?c ... _lig_dp_it
I have keyless flutes in those (wood & polymer, as well as 3 wood whistles each). I don't think the compartments can handle KEYED flutes without (a) distorting the separators, and (b) keys probably too tall to close safely.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

That was my fear Kevin...thanks for confirming and saving me the Amazon order price. I may still visit an art supply store in case they have something that may work.

Eric
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Jayhawk wrote:That was my fear Kevin...thanks for confirming and saving me the Amazon order price. I may still visit an art supply store in case they have something that may work.

Eric
Yeah, my keyless Murray fits (with his barrel bulge), but a Casey Burns folk flute does not (apparently a larger diameter/bigger bulge).
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

Also a tight squeeze for an 8-key R&R (I have a Wylde in one) is the ArtBin model 8010AB. Smaller, but thick (3.25") & still has a handle.
https://www.artbin.com/10-5-in-quick-vi ... 010ab.aspx
https://www.draftingsuppliesdew.com/art ... nt-storage

and variations thereof.

The flute came to me in one of these. With better foam to keep the parts separate, it's usable, but requires the lower hand section & foot to be separated, and the head & barrel just fit (no padding room at the ends). I'll either transfer to a Plano single pistol gun case ( https://amazon.com/gp/product/B0014VXJY8), squish into a Protec hybrid case (I have a few like this) or eventually break down & get a few Northwind cases made.

Protec (I think mine was an earlier version the 308 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002F797A ):
Last edited by kkrell on Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

This just proves there is a market for someone to print a cheap plastic flute case! Get to work all you techie folks!
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

Jayhawk wrote:This just proves there is a market for someone to print a cheap plastic flute case! Get to work all you techie folks!
A properly fitted interior for the Protec case would be just great, really. Low cost, thermal protection, reasonable humidity control with a small humidifier, secure (& lockable) zipper, has an external zippered compartment for cleaning rod, cork grease, etc., has a handle & detachable shoulder strap.
Conical bore

Post by Conical bore »

Terry McGee wrote:I offer really nice hardwood flute cases, and a cheaper line of economy flute cases. But I come across people who want a case, but would prefer to put as much money as possible into the flute, not the case. And I come across people who want the most slim, rugged, portable and lightweight case, not the prettiest. So I don't think we are there yet.
Yeah, I can see it's a different problem from the flute maker perspective. You have to offer something, and not everyone has "sky's the limit" finances when buying a new flute. From the flute buyer's perspective, I would probably go for a very inexpensive case just to protect it in shipping from the maker, so I could spend as much as possible for the flute itself. And then save up for a Northwind or equivalent later on.

Back when I played a keyless Windward, I was toying with the idea of trying an arrow quiver or some other cylindrical case idea. There are some interesting quivers out there. Might not be too practical for anything but transport to and from a session because the flute would have to stay assembled. And not that good for a keyed flute, as I found out when trying some ideas for a cylinder flute stand.

I wonder if it would be practical to take something like a length of large diameter PVC pipe with end caps, saw it apart lengthwise and then put a hinge and clasp on it. Use foam inside and you could keep the flute parts separated. It would be a version of the arrow quiver idea but opening sideways.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Having a decently equipped woodworking shop I've often thought about this. A piece of PVC pipe cut in half would work: you could also make a disk with a dowel in it, the size of the interior of the PVC pipe. Then you could have an end-accessible case--just remove one end, lift the dowel up, and then you could get to the pieces of the flute.

I have a nice piece of 3 inch oak. I often think of just bandsawing it in half and then routing out appropriately shaped slots and a hollowed out top. Insert padding and some velvet and you're good to go. You'd need to make a router template, which would take some skills. But then roundover the edges and attach hinges and a hasp. Or even just go to home depot and buy a long piece of 2x6 pine. Glue it up to make it thick enough, and do the same procedure.

not hard, but talk is cheap and I haven't done any of it!

Someone gave me an old protec silver flute case and I just pulled the foam out, cut my own slots in a piece of foam the correct size, and hot glued some fabric to it. But all i have is a keyless flute

http://spokeshave.net/cases.jpeg

The northwind style wooden case is really the most elegant solution by far
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

I've a wooden box that is called a flute case. It is usually on ebay for around $40. Though recently some folks are listing them at 300-500 dollars. I have no idea if they've ever suckered anyone with that price. It has two clasps that snap and is about 12 3/4 by 6 1/4 by two. I ripped out the chemically smelly foam and plastic velvet stuff in side and aired it in the sun for a few days. I haven't set it up as a flute case, since I am using it for some headjoints I've collected. But you could get crafty and built a structure inside to hold a rudall style flute. It has a tiny bit bigger footprint than my Northwind case.

Heck it looks like you can buy one with a disposable flute inside on one listing for $49. Just check on some of those flute shaped object auctions and ask for measurements of the case, pick up some lathe strips, a little bit of velvet (or some old sweatpants), and a glue gun should get you all set.

( :D I was thinking of cutting up the sweatpants, not wearing them in this case)
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

I saw those cases...right now several English sites are selling them with shipping for around $35. I also contemplated the case with disposable flute option...but I hate wasting the wood for the flute. I may just go with one of those cases, provided the 8 keyed flute would fit in it.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

Tomorrow I will take a minute and put a flute in the case and give you my report. I never have figured out how to post pictures so you'll have to take my word for it. :D
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

Jayhawk wrote:This just proves there is a market for someone to print a cheap plastic flute case! Get to work all you techie folks!
Not printed, ABS, but will this one fit an 8-key? https://www.staggmusic.com/en/products/ ... for-flute/ It's deeper than a French style case, but that allows more padding. I took the handle off and replaced the insert with new foam. The Stagg label peels off. Would probably survive being sat on.

I think mine is that one, but if so the aluminium edging is a mistake in the description.
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

I'm doubtful that case would work for a Rudall style keyed flute, but I could be wrong.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

The one I have 12 3/4" x 6 1/4" x 1 7/8" fit all of the three 8 keyed flutes I put in. So your Copley would likely be fine. I don't have any padding in there but it looks like there is plenty of room. That being said, if you were to use the pluck style pistol case foam there would not be room. But if you were going to make an internal structure like in a Northwind case you'd have plenty.

I have bought some EVA foam for a whistle case project I have yet to build, the heaviest of which is 6mm. It looks pretty good for separating slots, but not as stable as thin pieces of wood. That, at a thinner measurement might be good for padding the bottom and lid. Though the 6mm foam might generally shape around your keys. Wood slots need to be as big as the biggest part of your flute when you set it down.

I don't know if you go out to shops where you are, but craft stores have it. It comes in sheets like printer paper and you can buy them one at a time or in packs.

Though I think a thin lathe strip would give you more support. I found some skinny molding at Home Depot before the lockdown. It has half a bullnose on each side and is a 3/4 by a 1/4 inch. (It is used to hold down screen on old fashioned wooden screen doors.) I no longer have the access to power tools that I used to, but I was going to see if I could plane one end square on that. I also found a 1/2 x 1/4 all edges square piece. Which might work for my project. But that project got put off for months now so there is no report on the success of that internal case building attempt (4 or 5 sindts in a french style b footed boehm flute case with the guts removed and replaced.)

I am a bit of a hoarder so I have scraps of this and that I've saved with the idea of craft projects.

If I were wanting to line this box for a flute I'd dig out those wood pieces, and some thick fabric like older style upholstery fabric, such as was all the rage for wing chairs in the 80s. I have some that feels soft on the outside but is heavily woven, or some velvet or velveteen. Then I'd look for bits of quilting stuffing to perhaps add a padding here and there. Something like a bit of a good quality fleece blanket or sweatshirt you hate might work as fabric and or padding.

I also have saved bits of foam type packaging such as used when you get a piece of electronics. It is not a ridged as styrofoam, and has some squish to it and also some flex. I'm planning on using some of this as blocks to hold things in place.

A glue gun will be more handy in this situation than nails.

Alternatively, a lower tech approach: you could sew yourself a channeled pouch with one slot for the headjoint, one for the middle body and one for the two end pieces stored still attached to each other. And old sweatshirt could be great for this. That could be placed as is in this sort of box. You could then put enough eva foam on the top bottom and sides to keep things from rattling around. I have never needed to separate the foot of any of my rudall style flutes. And wouldn't recommend it if you have a keyed foot anyway-- Too many fragile moving parts down there.

One issue with the latches of these boxes: They are secure when set on a shelf and likely when carried, but they are so big that they could easily be opened if they were jostled by another object in your backpack. I'd make a big rubber band or better yet a form fitting sack for the whole box if I were to carry it about.

I have Northwind cases which I love very much, but I made simple form fitting sacks for them so the leather is protected when I put a flute in a bag.

You are likely not as nutty as I to have that all in the attic or garage, But you could ask relatives or friends if you know any quilters or crafters. And have them keep you in mind when they get packages to save you some of that foam for blocks.

You do have to be a little careful when you build something like this to make sure the stuff you are using won't off gas and corrode the metal or pads.