Price Check

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
ChrisCracknell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Price Check

Post by ChrisCracknell »

Hi all,

I am looking for a price check on one of my flutes - I am trying to decide whether to sell it or not. It is a Terry McGee GLP from 2006/7 in African Blackwood. A lovely flute, but not getting played enough due to some other flutes that I have. I have had it from new.

I have two upper body sections for it - one standard making it into a six key flute with a short foot. The other has a right hand b flat and C thumb hole which is the one that I use. It also has a nice case, also from Mr McGee. If I put it up for sale then I will put some pictures together. Elliptical embouchure.

In D of course...

Perfect playing condition.

Does anyone have any idea what this might go for? With either or both upper body sections, or would someone want one of the upper body sections separately (someone already owning a GLP?)?

Is selling it privately outside the EU a reasonable idea due to CITES? Or should I stick to EU or personal handovers?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Chris
busterbill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Price Check

Post by busterbill »

I don't have a value for you, but I'd definitely not attempt to ship it to the US. It might work, it might not and then you and the buyer are out a flute. Technically you are supposed to declare a value and describe it on the import documentation for the shipping label. I bought a concertina after Cities II and it spend a couple of days with homeland security getting looked over, even with a detailed listing of the wood it contained. I don't know the details of Cities II within the EU. Others might comment on that.
hpinson

Post by hpinson »

Several used six-key GLP flutes in good shape with case have sold in the US in the 3K to 3.5k range recently. I don't think that is so far off from their cost new. They are nice flutes, and seem to hold value.
ChrisCracknell

Post by ChrisCracknell »

Thanks for the comments - I think CITES will limit me to Europe or personal handover. I've just been through the process as an importer and the hoops to jump through are a bit irritating.

Ok, so new price minus a discount is a good starting point. I will bear that in mind.

(Anyone desperate to have it can of course contact me with an offer... :-))
awildman

Post by awildman »

AFAIK there is no unified code for CITES for EU. I believe each country has their own requirements. I'd advise researching thoroughly before shipping ANYWHERE outside your country's borders.
ChrisCracknell

Post by ChrisCracknell »

Within the customs union there aren't any checks or controls - coming into the EU from outside, then it would be important which country it is going to. I would be sending from one EU country to another, though I would check with the BFN before doing that. (Bundesamt Für Naturschutz...).

I will take the flute with me to Cruinniu in case anyone there wants to try it.
fluti31415
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by fluti31415 »

hpinson wrote:Several used six-key GLP flutes in good shape with case have sold in the US in the 3K to 3.5k range recently. I don't think that is so far off from their cost new. They are nice flutes, and seem to hold value.
Yes, I just bought a 6 Key GLP from Blayne for $3.5K. That included the nice wooden case. I feel it was a fair price.
Shannon
(aka fluti31415)
ChrisCracknell

Post by ChrisCracknell »

Actually, I am not going to take the flute to Cruinniu due to hand luggage only limitations... I am already taking two others... I'll look at putting it on the market later in the year.

This leads nicely to my next question - has anyone observed seasonal trends in the selling and pricing of used wooden flutes ;-)