My flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
AuLoS303
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

My flute

Post by AuLoS303 »

A friend sent me this today in exchange for an ocarina. Its an Altissimo and I got a note out of the mouthpiece no problem. I've never played a flute before, never even handled one, all I can say is its very loud!

You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: My flute

Post by plunk111 »

Looks like a typical student flute - do you have a question about it?

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

plunk111 wrote:Looks like a typical student flute - do you have a question about it?

Pat
Not yet. Just sharing a pic of it.
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

Actually there is a query. On the foot joint one of the keys is stuck. I can press it down but it doesnt spring back up. The spring is there but the whole mechanism for that key is stiff. Maybe the screw is too tight?
plunk111

Post by plunk111 »

To be honest, you won't use the low C or C# (the notes on the footjoint) very much. If you can go from the low D (3 right-hand fingers down) on up, you will only be missing the lowest 2 notes (that are difficult for beginners anyway) and can cover all the upper notes. If you'll be playing Irish music on your new "silver flute", you won't need those low notes at all, actually. Yes, Mr Gumby, I know some Irish tunes go down to the low C# or C, but very few do so.

If you want the footjoint keys to work properly, your best bet would be to take it to an instrument repair person. He/she can check it over for any other problems as well. The only problem would be the cost - it might cost more than the flute is worth...

Good luck!

Pat
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

plunk111 wrote:To be honest, you won't use the low C or C# (the notes on the footjoint) very much. If you can go from the low D (3 right-hand fingers down) on up, you will only be missing the lowest 2 notes (that are difficult for beginners anyway) and can cover all the upper notes. If you'll be playing Irish music on your new "silver flute", you won't need those low notes at all, actually. Yes, Mr Gumby, I know some Irish tunes go down to the low C# or C, but very few do so.

If you want the footjoint keys to work properly, your best bet would be to take it to an instrument repair person. He/she can check it over for any other problems as well. The only problem would be the cost - it might cost more than the flute is worth...

Good luck!

Pat
Thanks Pat. I dont really intend playing just irish music on it, I'm not an out and out player of irish music (I have tin whistle for that). Getting the flute kind of just happened, I wasn't expecting to be actually getting one. And for now I will use it to practice embouchure and holding.
plunk111

Post by plunk111 »

I see from the other thread that the sticking key is the D#/Eb... That can be problematic, unlike the C and C# keys. Most notes require you to "vent" (i.e. hold down) the D# key to get a full sound, but if it's stuck, your low and middle range Ds will be messed up (they will be D#s, actually). The high D is normally OXX OOO, so it's not a problem. You WILL need to get that key fixed. BTW, in addition to Irish flute (a John Gallagher 8-key), I do play the "silver" flute for church services.

Pat
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

At least I can use it to develop my embouchure and holding technique.