Worrell RC flute finger stretch

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Cab
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Not sure whether I haven't registered at some time before but have come back to seek advice about a woodenflute maker.

Worrell RC flute finger stretch

Post by Cab »

I've been going through discussions of this flute, notably Calum Stewart's comments on his instruments. There's much discussion of tone but only occasional reference to finger stretch. I've found one comment on finger cramps and the hard to reach D. It seems logical that a cylindrical bore will result in a greater stretch. I've chatted to Peter himself, who was very helpful and mentioned this issue but didn't offer any dimensions.
So, can anyone offer any advice based on experience of these instruments? I'm intrigued as to why such a great-sounding instrument isn't more widely played and wonder if this is the reason.
flutefry
Tell us something.: Pipes have become my main instrument, but I still play the flute. I have emerged from the "instrument acquisition" phase, and am now down to one full set of pipes (Gordon Galloway), and one flute (Hudson Siccama).

Re: Worrell RC flute finger stretch

Post by flutefry »

I bought Calum's Worrell from him. I would be happy to measure it when I get home to provide a quantitative answer.

Subjectively, I have big hands and long fingers. I find that I can't switch easily between my Rudall and Rose and the Worrell. The Worrell certainly is a doable, but it is the widest stretch of any flute I have played. I wouldn't expect someone with small or medium hands to have an easy time (but then I see 9 year olds playing conical bore flutes without difficulty, so suspect that one does what one has to). For me, I have to remember to keep my hand really relaxed, and I tend to let my ring finger come closer to my second finger and then move it back again when I need to cover the hole as a way of reducing tension. (Try making the widest possible gap between your finger tips while you look down on the top of your hand (no flute in other words) and you will likely see the tendons stand out on the back of your hand as you reach max width. That's the source of the tension that makes me want to reduce the gap between my second finger and ring finger while playing to keep the hand loose.)

On mine, the finger holes are offset to make the stretch easier (will get a picture and can send it to you if interested).

It is a great flute, and I play it when I am playing with untunable instruments like pianos and need to be in tune, or when I am playing other musics.

Send me a PM or email if you want to ask any specific questions.

Hugh
I thought I had no talent, but my talent is to persist anyway.
Cab
Tell us something.: Not sure whether I haven't registered at some time before but have come back to seek advice about a woodenflute maker.

Post by Cab »

Thanks Hugh. Very useful. In fact, I've now had exact measurements from Peter himself and what's interesting is that, while R2 to R3 (or right middle finger to ring finger) is greater than usual (42mm centre to centre compared with 36-38 on other flutes I have) the R1 to R2 distance is rather less than usual (25 rather than 35). In other words, the stretch between middle and ring fingers is greater but the stretch from index to ring finger is no more than on typical Pratten style conical bore flutes. Does that make sense?

I have an Olwell bamboo C flute where R2 to R3 is 47mm, which isn't comfortable, but then R1 to R2 is big too.

I'm guessing you don't use piper's grip, which is one option, I suppose!

Like you, I'm partly looking for a flute for other musics. May take up your offer and pm you if I decide to pursue the matter. Thanks again.
flutefry
Tell us something.: Pipes have become my main instrument, but I still play the flute. I have emerged from the "instrument acquisition" phase, and am now down to one full set of pipes (Gordon Galloway), and one flute (Hudson Siccama).

Post by flutefry »

Cab,

Glad you got the measurements from Peter directly. The R2 R3 distance is greater because R2 has been moved closer to to R1 to make the F# sharper, and R3 has been moved down a bit to allow the the hole to get a bit bigger and the sound of the E a little clearer/louder without affecting the tuning. These 2 adjustments are a key reason that the tuning is so good. The consequence is the R1 R2 distance is less.

As a baroque flute player I am used to venting the Eb most of the time. I have an unusually short little finger, so if I roll the foot joint toward me to accommodate my short finger, I end up having trouble using the Eb key, which I use a lot when I am not playing Irish music. Even though I play the pipes, I don't use pipers grip on keyed flutes to preserve the ability to use my little finger on the foot keys.

Please do PM me-I am travelling today and tomorrow, so response may be a wee bit slow, but I am a flute nerd, and am always happy to chat. Am thinking about moving some flutes on as I start to ask how I could fund a flat set....

Hugh
I thought I had no talent, but my talent is to persist anyway.