catherine mcevoy

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: catherine mcevoy

Post by Mr.Gumby »

And I thought Miltown was Ireland's first 'etown' :) At least, this was announced with great fanfare a number of years ago.
Shannon development built a little estate all fibre cabled up and imagined e-businesses would come running. One unit was sold (to a local architect) the rest of them are still empty (and partly unfinished) and up for grabs, our own little ghost estate.

Fast connections were not supplied to the rest of the area. Fast Broadband means 1 MB/s.
My brain hurts

johnkerr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by johnkerr »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Non venting is pretty common. The Flute is a non slide Rudall. I'd guess supporting the flute on the shoulder negates the need for anchoring it with the pinkie.
Catherine plays left-handed. Her flute is a right-handed Rudall with no tuning slide and she has the keys blu-tacked shut. She couldn't vent a note if she wanted to. Yet she is never out of tune. It isn't easy, but it can be done.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

The music is alive and well, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ietRxTd4rxU
Mick Hand in that session - a great player!
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Aine ni Cheallaigh next to Mick playing the fiddle, I think I see Aine McGrath at the edge of the frame at times on the other side of the guitar player, I see Davoc Runne playing the whistle and the accordeon, although never in the frame, is obviously Jackie Daly, Tim Dennehy and Angela Crehan dancing a few steps.
My brain hurts

monoRAIL

Post by monoRAIL »

Anyone know the name of the 'unnamed slipjig', the first tune in the second set? I've been learning it from this video and would love to know what it's called so I can find out if anyone else knows it without having to play it for them.
Conor O'Kane
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

It's one of at least two slip jigs called the Humours of Whiskey so that will lead to some confusion.
My brain hurts

monoRAIL

Post by monoRAIL »

Thanks very much Mr Gumby, some confusion is better than total ignorance :-)
Conor O'Kane
maracirac

Post by maracirac »

as peter said, there are at least two slip jigs known as 'humours of whiskey ', so this one in the video i prefere to refere to as 'dever the dancer' (this being it's second name).
you can find music sheet for it here: http://thesession.org/tunes/search?type ... the+dancer
marin
maracirac

Post by maracirac »

please ignore my previous post, it isn't dever the dancer, proper music sheet for catherine's tune is here: http://thesession.org/tunes/1023
marin
monoRAIL

Post by monoRAIL »

Thank you maracirac, the Chieftains album version (posted near the bottom of that session page) seems to be closest to what Catherine is playing, although it's her variations and ornamentation that really make it interesting. It feels like she's just improvising around the general theme of the tune rather than sticking to any specific version.
Conor O'Kane