Sam Murray and Flute Deliveries?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jim stone

Re: Sam Murray and Flute Deliveries?

Post by jim stone »

[A hawker is a vendor of merchandise that can be easily transported; the term is roughly synonymous with peddler or costermonger. In most places where the term is used, a hawker sells items or food that are native to the area. Whether stationary or mobile, hawkers often advertise by loud street cries or chants, and conduct banter with customers, so to attract attention and enhance sales. When accompanied by a demonstration and/or detailed explanation of the product, the hawker is sometimes referred to as a demonstrator or pitchman.'

The idea that Julia was 'hawking' a flute is unwarranted and uncalled for, if I may say so. Personally I welcomed the pics of the lovely flute. I've had my own problems with Sam. But when he's good he's very good, and people who sell good Murray flutes here do us a service, I believe.
Flutered
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Flutered »

If you're offended by the word 'hawking', I'm happy to apologise. Call it 'aggressive selling' if you wish or 'pushing product'. I prefer the old words and as I have ancestors who were street hawkers, I have no problem with it's connotations.

Re Sam, I have no major problem, I have one of his 3 key blackwood flutes. It's clear that Sam is more suited to being a local or regional craftsman, someone you deal with in person. He has an international reputation but his business & lifestyle is more local and personal. 'Steampacket' has been posting here for years I think and if what he says is even half true, it is a sorry story.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

" 'Steampacket' has been posting here for years I think and if what he says is even half true, it is a sorry story." Flutered.

Yes Flutered, unfortunately it is 100% true. Sam Murray has cheated me and cquick on this forum and taken our flutes. He has cheated libraryman also a member on this forum. About 10 years ago a very famous Swedishfolksinger Sofii K., here in Sweden ordered a flute from Sam, paid the deposit, and then paid the remainder when Sam said the flute was ready for delivery. Sam kept her money and never sent the flute. Sam cheated her too. Beware Sam Murray. Some of Sam Murrays flutes are good instruments, this is true, but there are other flute makers who you can trust in Ireland, England, Australia, Germany, USA, and France making flutes that are just as good.
monkeymonk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by monkeymonk »

The only time i got to hear one of Sam Murray's flutes live was at my local session. It had such a wonderful, sweet tone (combination of player and flute of course). I thought it was one of Casey Burns' because i hadn't seen that characteristic sweep at the bottom of the barrel anywhere else. I talked to the guy for a while about it. He had visited Sam Murray's shop, fell in love with his work and ordered the flute. He then relayed the same sort of experiences i have read about so often since that time such as request for final payement and shipping and not sending the flute. Eventually he was sent the flute, i don't think it was exactly as he had ordered it but MY OH MY it was a lovely flute, thin with a beautiful, sweet sound.
Being a talented artist does not make you a good business person.

Flutered wrote: "It's clear that Sam is more suited to being a local or regional craftsman, someone you deal with in person."

Is this the reason no one had followed up with legaities? Because folks that deal with him in person don't encounter the same degree of problems that offshore orders do?

Thanks for posting the flute Julia. I am currently deeply in love with the flute i am playing now otherwise i would be tempted.....
Flutered

Post by Flutered »

monkeymonk wrote:Is this the reason no one had followed up with legalities? Because folks that deal with him in person don't encounter the same degree of problems that offshore orders do?
I don't know as I don't live in Galway or the west. I'd guess that threads like this and there have been others, don't do the Murray reputation any good at all. Which is a great pity - it must have an impact on their potential international orders. But maybe they just don't need these orders and are happier to deal with people in person. As regards 'legalities', the amounts of money involved are not small but they're not great either so it'd be hard to justify taking a claim from a distance. I think in these cases, it's more the 'breach of trust' and 'failure of expectations' and so on, that really matter most.
megapop

Post by megapop »

Flutered wrote:the amounts of money involved are not small but they're not great either
Well... some people (like, uhm, musicians) might have to save money for quite some time to be able to afford such a flute. I don't know what he takes for his flutes, but I guess ~ 1000€ for an unkeyed to ~ 3000€ for a 6 keyer? Now I wouldn't be that amused if someone stole me such an amount of money. That's not just, like, oh no, he breached my trust. Just saying.
Last edited by megapop on Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
return null;
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I see Sam's flutes regularly for sale in Powell's in Galway. That's one way of getting them. You pay the middleman though.

My own experience with Sam is fine. I ordered a flute, paid the deposit and was promised a flute in about six weeks. Into the seventh week a message arrived with some questions about the finishing of the flute (left/right handed etc) and a request to arrange pick up at the weekend. I arranged a time and picked up the flute at the workshop, had a good chat and handed over the cheque with the balance. Not a bother.

As to the above post (a cross post) : it was €650 in my case, for a keyless, a few years ago. Not a huge amount of money in the grand scale of things. A loss to most individuals but not something the gardai or the law would get very excited about.
My brain hurts

benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I must admit, I find these sorts of threads completely bemusing. I know quite a few people who have Murray flutes, and have bought direct from him. Some of them have keyless flutes and others keyed flutes. They've all got good stories to tell - minimal delays, price as expected and gorgeous flutes delivered at the end of it all. Mind, the people I know are just that: people I know.

I suppose what I'm saying is that I've yet to meet someone in the flesh who has bought a flute from Sam and had any sort of hassle.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Not sure 'bemused' is the right word. I know Steampacket is not too amused. I imagine things come right more often than they go wrong but if they go wrong, I don't expect it feels very 'bemusing' if your flute is involved.
My brain hurts

benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Not sure 'bemused' is the right word. I know Steampacket is not too amused. I imagine things come right more often than they go wrong but if they go wrong, I don't expect it feels very 'bemusing' if your flute is involved.
Sorry. You've lost me. It's bemusing to me, which is why I used the word. It means confusing. Only stronger. It's the right word for what I meant.
psychodonald
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Post by psychodonald »

I think it is worth noting that bad behavior does not cancel good behavior, any more than good behavior cancels bad behavior--it just is what it is. Wouldn't it be nice to hear from Mr. Murray on the suject of his alleged bad behavior? Perhaps, there is a whole other perspective. Absent his response (Mr. Murray's, I mean), all one can do now is speculate and assume, which when a persons reputation is being questioned, is a slippery slope in my opinion.
libraryman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by libraryman »

No, we don't know what Sam's side of the story might be. But we do know he solicited orders through a website that has disappeared and that he has stopped answering queries from persons who have already sent in deposits after previously tantalizing people with "it's almost finished" messages. Pretty damning. Given that, I am glad that Steampacket has brought a complaint and hope to hear how it turns out. Good for you Steampacket. I am sorry you have not gotten a little more support for what you are doing from this board as I think you are really doing the flute community a favor for standing up for what is right.
psychodonald
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Post by psychodonald »

Libraryman: I certainly don't wish to infer that you or Steampacket do not have some valid points, that isn't my intent. I think that buried deeply in my last post, I to have an equally valid point, may be more than one. I guess that I like to have as much information upon which to base a judgement as I can obtain. BTW, I'm not at all certain that Steampacket does not have considerable support, as I look at the number of "views" to date, there are over 3,440 "views" of this thread with only 50 plus responses. One could surmise that this thread is of considerable interest to quite a number of persons. Impossible to know what the level of support is. Just wanted you to know that I'm not at all dismissisve of yours or Steampackets' experience with Mr. Murray, quite the opposite, in fact.
Last edited by psychodonald on Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

This is a topic that comes up periodically. . .again and again. The lack of responses should not be misinterpreted. Please read [urlhttp://forums.chiffandfipple.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72647][/url] and a quite a few other similar threads.
For my own part, I might buy a Murray flute as an Artifact, one I could hold in my hand and examine and evaluate before I bought it.
As to dealing with the man himself, probably not. I am quite concerned with what has become of 'Steampacket's' flute. I might buy from Doc Jones, as JessieK did. But again, I would be very wary of dealing with the man himself.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Ketil

Post by Ketil »

I am one of those silent (until now) readers of this thread. I have had absolutely no previous contact with either parties of this conflict, but I was considering a Sam Murray flute as one of my options when time come to order a keyed flute. Last year I visited Galway and I had a close look at one of the Murray keyless flutes in Powells. Beautiful flute! It was about 1200Euros and I remember i wondered why it was so much higher priced than on the website. Of course the middleman wants some and theres no waiting time. Anyway.. I have reconsidered after reading this post and no matter how nice his flutes are I will not deal with the man if this is the way he does business. I understand there's two sides of every story, but when several people have lost their money or flutes or both, I have no trouble saying this.

For people like me living far from any known flutemakers (I live in Norway) threads like this can save me a lot of hassle and money! Thank you to all of whos stories and experiences both good and bad are told to the users of this forum.

Ketil