Lined vs unlined heads

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
phlute626
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Lined vs unlined heads

Post by phlute626 »

I would appreciate your opinions on lined or unlined headjoints. I've been playing a silver boehm flute for years and am new to Irish flute. I have a M&E polymer but want to try wood. Pros? Cons?

Thanks for your help.
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

There really are three primary options on a wooden flute:

1) Unlined - no tuning barrel or slide, but the tennon is usually long enough to tune with. Some say the gap causes a slight tuning issue in the upper octave around A and B. This style includes McGee's MDT which is a neat compromise method and addresses any slight tuning issues an unlined headjoint has. Supposedly, unlined headjoint are less likely to crack. They are less tunable than a flute with a slide, so if you play with wacky box players who play way sharp or flat it could be a problem (otherwise you'll be fine).

2) Partially Lined - the lining is in the barrel and part of the headjoint. It supposedly gives a "woodier" tone. Some say less likely to crack than a fully lined headjoint, others disagree. To confuse matters, many folks here use "unlined" when they really mean partially lined.

3) Fully lined - metal runs through the barrel and the headjoint. Some folks say they project more.

Really, it's a personal choice - whatever you like better. I've played with all three varieties. I play with enough wacky musicians that I prefer to have a slide (or a really long tennon that'll tune sharp).

Eric
phlute626
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by phlute626 »

Thanks for the reply, Jayhawk. I figured the choice would be subjective. I appreciate the information combined with your experience playing on all 3 types. I think I'll go for lined because I like the idea of a tuning slide. I need all the help I can get!
flutefry
Tell us something.: Pipes have become my main instrument, but I still play the flute. I have emerged from the "instrument acquisition" phase, and am now down to one full set of pipes (Gordon Galloway), and one flute (Hudson Siccama).

Post by flutefry »

One possible issue is that lined heads are heavier, and thus can affect balance. I've never played the same flute with lined and unlined heads, so it's hard to separate influence of the head from everything else, but I find unlined, or partially lined heads to give a warmer sound.

Hugh
I thought I had no talent, but my talent is to persist anyway.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

And lined heads tend (note 'tend') to be brighter and
to better 'cut through' or project.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Taking Jayhawk's numbering system.

Pros:

1) The all-wood flute tends, not surprisingly, to have the woodiest sound. It's by far the lightest and best-balanced.

2) The flute with slide but unlined head tends to have a woodier sound than the lined head. Also it is fully tunable.

3) The lined head may have a brighter sound than the others. It tends to project or cut through more than unlined heads.

Cons:

1) Isn't much tunable. This isn't a problem for some players.

2) Is somewhat more head-heavy than the all-wood flute. May not project as well as a lined head.

3) More head-heavy than 2. Sound is less woody than the others.

As you observed, it's all subjective. I haven't come across an Irish flute that sounds better than an Olwell all-wood flute. OTOH, I play flat, so my flute of choice is an Olwell with a slide and unlined head.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

chas wrote: I haven't come across an Irish flute that sounds better than an Olwell all-wood flute. OTOH, I play flat, so my flute of choice is an Olwell with a slide and unlined head.
You sure you don't want to sell that flute, cause I'm still lookin'...... :twisted:

Loren
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Loren wrote:
chas wrote: I haven't come across an Irish flute that sounds better than an Olwell all-wood flute. OTOH, I play flat, so my flute of choice is an Olwell with a slide and unlined head.
You sure you don't want to sell that flute, cause I'm still lookin'...... :twisted:

Loren
Sorry, mon, I can't. I (more precisely my wife) have an order for an exact copy fully keyed. It's so old that Patrick can't be sure of the dimensions, so we have to return it to him when our number comes up.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.