question for seery owners!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
BullFighter
antispam: No

question for seery owners!

Post by BullFighter »

I've had to replace a seery's stopper..
What is the standard position of it?

I've tried the common relation: HJ bore diameter=distace betwen center of the embouchure & stopper. It is about 1'8 cm.

Have you tried othes distances for the cork?
May i ask you to measure your own flute?
thanks a lot, friends.

and thanks to you, marin, for sending it to me!! :)
eilam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eilam »

18-19 mm
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

When I had my Seery, it was set at 20 mm and it worked well for me.

Though, I imagine that there are variations in any flute model from one to the next, and also how it is blown by the individual-so you probably need to see how it works for you wherever you set it.
~~~~
Barry
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Headjoint cork should be at approx. 19mm.

More on the subject, from my email archive.

A good starting point for the tuning cork is one head tube diameter back from the center of the embouchure. This will be around 19mm or just under 3/4 inch for most flutes. It is worth buying a 5/8 inch diameter dowel from the hardware store and making marks from 15 to 25 mm from one end (or 5/8 to 1 inch depending on your preferred units). You can use the dowel to move the cork and measure its position. The final adjustments should be made by playing and checking the tuning between the first and second octaves (assuming you will not be playing much in the third octave). If the upper octave is flat relative to the lower, then move the cork towards the embouchure a mm or so and try again. If the upper octave is sharp, move the cork away from the embouchure.

The cork only makes minor difference to the low octaves, so use the slide to get best general low octave tuning with the cork at the nominal (19mm) position. Check the relationship of the three D's and make adjustments to cork position to optimise that. Readjust slide if necessary afterwards to correct any changes in the low octave (unlikely). Now check the tuning over the range of interest (the first two octaves or more if you use more). You may need to readjust the cork position if it has created any problems there. You might also need to readjust it if overall response is weakened.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org