Walsh Bellows Conversion

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
MadmanWithaWhistle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Walsh Bellows Conversion

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

I have a set of John Walsh smallpipes in A that I originally got with a blowpipe. Walsh also offers "bellows conversion kits" that feature a somewhat longer air pipe and an elbow joint that goes to the blowpipe stock, and of course a bellows. I wondered if anyone had experience with the conversion kits and whether the position of the air tube had a significant effect on the difficulty of playing.

Thanks,
Cameron
piperjoe
antispam: No

Re: Walsh Bellows Conversion

Post by piperjoe »

Cameron,

I used the Walsh conversion kit for a while and found it very problematic. It pulled (rotated) the bag in a very uncomfortable way and tended to "pinch" the bag at the blow pipe stock.

A couple of years ago I ordered a new set of Walsh blackwood pipes in D and I wanted to be able to play mouth or bellows blown and John set them up with a bellows conversion that uses a stock set into the bag as a normal set of bellows blown pipes would have. So essentially, the pipes have two stocks either of which can be plugged when the other is in use. The "blow stick" stock is in it's usual position as is the bellows stock. Much more elegant solution, easy conversion from mouth to bellows blown, and a much more comfortable playing experience/position. Works a treat!

I don't see why he couldn't retrofit a set of pipes with the same set up.

JD