am I hearing a bagpipe or?

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: am I hearing a bagpipe or?

Post by pancelticpiper »

Offtopic I know but speaking of clueless eejit soundmen...

Many years ago Silly Wizard was playing at The Barn here, a fairly small casual venue with a stage at one end, a walkup window serving beer at the other end, and wood picnic tables and benches in the middle.

Silly Wizard usually travelled with their own sound system and soundman, but for some reason at this venue they got what they got, the in-house guy, sitting at his little open-window booth beside the beer window at the back.

So Andy Stewart launches into Donald MacGillivray and the sound is horrible and he looks towards the sound booth... and there's nobody there! Andy smoothly changed up the words of the song

"Come like a Sound Man, Donald MacGillivray..."

This got a big laugh from the audience, who saw exactly what was going on... the sound guy was in the cue at the beer window, I think.

EDIT: I just now looked up The Barn, and it actually is a barn:

"The Barn is the campus' (University of California Riverside) historic music venue. Built in 1917 and actually used as a Barn for many years, it became a music and performance destination in the 1960's, presenting hundreds of memorable rock and folk performances including legendary acts such as Bob Dylan, Tina Turner, Tim Buckley, Wall of Voodoo, Korn, Suicidal Tendencies, the Dream Syndicate, Blink 182, the Skeletones, Social Distortion, the Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Rage Against the Machine, No Doubt, Radiohead and countless more."

Back in the 80s I saw Silly Wizard, Battlefield Band, and other groups there. Only seats 300.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
bepoq
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm just updating my profile. Actually came on to change my signature, which is out of date. I have no idea what 100 characters looks like. Is this enough perhaps?

Re: am I hearing a bagpipe or?

Post by bepoq »

definitely not a gurdy. Clearly a fiddle entering in and then uilleann pipes. But I suspect they may have looped the fiddle drone to continue on with the pipes, which might account for the difficulty in figuring it out. Not to mention pancelt's aforementioned compression.
Flutes, whistles, pipes: Come From Away, Broadway

CD, The Mouse in the Mug, available.

Avatar painting by Vincent Crotty of Kerry, now Boston. Visit his site here