Scottish pipe band win World Championships !!!

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Scottish pipe band win World Championships !!!

Post by kenny »

Congratulations to the "Shotts And Dykehead Caledonia" Pipe Band, for being the first Scottish Grade 1 pipe band to win the World Championship in 10 years. BBC Scotland have been producing a 1 hour programme from the "World's" for a few years now, and it's on on BBC Scotland tomorrow evening at 7.00pm.
Well done, guys.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Scottish pipe band win World Championships !!!

Post by benhall.1 »

Yes, many congratulations indeed. When I read it first, I couldn't believe it had been 10 years since a Scottish band had won it. Crazy. Anyway, the world is put to rights again now! :)
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Scottish pipe band win World Championships !!!

Post by pancelticpiper »

I listened to the live streaming of the Worlds, which takes some dedication here in California, the contest starting at 2:30am. But, café mocha in hand, I watched the whole thing as I do every year.

What a fantastic contest! So many great bands, so many great performances. Putting the contest aspect aside, it's the best bagpipe band concert on the planet.

Yes congratulations to Shotts & Dykehead! When I was a new piper, in the 70s, I would get albums from the great Scottish bands like Strathclyde Police, Shotts & Dykehead, Dysart & Dundonald and I can remember the impact Shotts' album Cullen Bay had on me at the time.

The very year I started on the PC, and the next year when I got my first pipes, were won by Shotts. Then Strathclyde Police when on their big run!

What a surprise in 1987 when the Worlds went to an overseas band for the first time. No-one could image then a ten-year Worlds drought by Scottish bands.

Here's the list

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Pip ... mpionships

A quick count, it looks like Shotts has won 14 times, from 1948 to 2015, and been 2nd many times. What an amazing record of consistency!

Has Boghall & Bathgate really never won? Look how many times they've been 2nd. Must be hard to have been that close so many times.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle