Learning the Renaissance small pipes

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
MadmanWithaWhistle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Re: Learning the Renaissance small pipes

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

Wow. I've been enjoying this thread a lot. What an incredibly complex, haunting sound those hummelchen get... Now, the obvious question- would it be out of the question to get an A chanter in that scale I could screw into my Walsh smallpipes? Would a maker even consider making a chanter for another maker's pipes? May seem like a silly question, but I'd really rather not ask for something embarrassingly outside professional courtesy. I can see all kinds of fantastic applications for playing Irish stuff on there...
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

Well, Madman; Its been my experience that ( gosh ! Ive *always* wanted to post that sentence online somewhere! :) thx ) makers of these non-mainstream types of pipes dont conceive of them as being mix&match ....
as in Highland pipes, for ex, where playing a "McGrumpy" chanter on a "Blennderson" set raises nary an eyebrow :really:

Many alternative pipemakers, (particularly those who see themselves as a link in a very thin chain of descent) will simply NOT 'Just make you a chanter" & thats that. Its meant to go with the whole shebang.

OTOH, you might just hit someone on a slow month & get a separate chanter; but I;d wager the former. :party:
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

I guess it should be possible to get just an A chanter - but most likely, the result would be an instrument which sounds like a Walsh smallpipe with a strange, and probably just not "right", sounding chanter... The drones are built considerably different from smallpipe drones, hence the different sound.
These instruments are not so expensive that someone who is really interested could not afford the full kit.
Celtaidd

Post by Celtaidd »

I have ordered a hümmelchen with T Sonada.

Are there any books on learning to play the hümmelchen?

Thanks.
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

Celtaidd wrote:Are there any books on learning to play the hümmelchen?
Only one, AFAIK. I will find out if it's still available.
MichaelLoos

Post by MichaelLoos »

PM sent.
Celtaidd

Post by Celtaidd »

MichaelLoos wrote:PM sent.
Thank you.
anima
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by anima »

Verlag Der Speilleute has a few books that you could use, these two are probably closest:

http://www.spielleute.de/product_info.p ... and-1.html
http://www.spielleute.de/product_info.p ... and-2.html
Last edited by anima on Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
MichaelLoos

Post by MichaelLoos »

These are for the so-called "medieval" bagpipes (no historical background) which are open-fingered and give a dorian scale in A (and can be used for nothing else), based on the six-finger note.
Although these tunes can be played on the Hümmelchen if transposed to D dorian and the drones tuned to D and A, this is not what the Hümmelchen is designed for, and remains behind its actual possibilities.