Mainstock size

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
ckrusor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Mainstock size

Post by ckrusor »

I'm just starting to consider making a few pieces that might eventually become a full set of SSPs, and I'd like to have room in the mainstock for up to five drones, including a Taylor-style barrel bass and maybe a barrel contrabass. I'm also interested in experimenting a bit with capped bells on drones (like the GHB or the Uilleann bass), so the drones would need to be spaced apart a bit to provide for the width of a terminal bell. Making a set of smallpipes really only appeals to me because it presents an opportunity to do some experimenting. I don't really have a desire to make a conventional set that I know will play well. I can buy one like that. I'd like to tinker and I don't mind ending up with a monstrosity.

So, it seems that my design goals will require a large mainstock. Even the largest Uilleann pipes never seem to have a mainstock exceeding 3" in diameter. How large are the largest mainstocks? Has anyone seen a mainstock that approaches 4" in diameter? Or larger? It would be interesting to me to be familiar with some examples.
Will Woodson
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Mainstock size

Post by Will Woodson »

I'm somewhat familiar with monstrosities!

My five-drone border mainstock is only 2.5 inches in diameter, and that holds a fair bit of hardware. I have two of my drones mounted in brass tubes external to the mainstock, but we've had sets go out of the shop with all five drones in the mainstock, and there was no problem at all. However, it sounds like your drones may be taking up a bit more space than mine--I have a barrel-style (sort of) contrabass, but everything else is quite standard. I'd expect that three inches would be enough room to do it, although I'm no expert.
The Phonograph Project, a close study of Irish music from the 1920s and 30s: http://patreon.com/phonographproject

My album with Caitlin Finley and Chris Stevens, "The Glory Reel": http://thegloryreel.bandcamp.com
Driftwood
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Driftwood »

Angled drilling of the mainstock (rather than parallel drilling) will leave more room for terminal bells.
ckrusor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by ckrusor »

I considered angled drilling. I guess I'm just not fond of it aesthetically. I think I'd prefer a large mainstock with widely spaced parallel drones. A 4" diameter mainstock will be just large enough, and I plan to make it hollow both to reduce the weight and for the purported acoustic benefits. It will be a cavern in there.