Where to buy kaba gaida?

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
Christian10992
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Where to buy kaba gaida?

Post by Christian10992 »

Hi,

I play GHB's (or used to, I had to take hiatus with my pipe band, once university got too heavy), and am currently playing with a jazz band that has a lot of Eastern European influences. I currently play bassoon, bari, flute, and saw in the group, but I'm looking to diversify my playing a bit.

That being said, I don't think GHB's would really fit our sound, but I really like the kaba gaida. As a college musician though, I'm pretty limited on spending range.

Does anyone know where I can get a decent used set?

Thanks,
Christian
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Re: Where to buy kaba gaida?

Post by MichaelLoos »

Hi Christian,
a good kaba gaida isn't really expensive (in fact, not more than a bad one...).
Have a look at this site: http://www.kabagaida.com/home , they offer quality instruments from 400 Leva on, which approximates 205€/280$.
Every now and then (but not very often) used instruments do appear on ebay, but you don't know in what condition they are - buying a bagpipe (of whatever kind) from ebay, you should always take into account the cost for a new bag and new reeds, which means, you'll probably not save much, unless you get it really very cheap.
What part of the world are you in?
Christian10992

Post by Christian10992 »

Thanks,
I've seen that site, but didn't know what to think of it. Thanks for the tip.

I am in south Louisiana, though I'll be moving out of the country in about 8 months or so for work, as I am about to graduate from university.
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

One of the best kaba gaida makers at present is Kostadin Ilchev from Smolyan, I'm pretty sure Cvetelin (from kabagaida.com) can supply an instrument made by him.
Also, you might want to contact Radoslav Paskalev: http://www.rpkavalsandbagpipes.com/ , he is in Chesapeake/Virginia. He doesn't make kaba gaidas AFAIK, but he might be able to help in finding a good instrument.
anima
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by anima »

I have one from Zdavko Beshendiev - bag is kind of on the small side, but overall OK. My biggest impediment to learning kaba gaida here in the US the lack of others who play the music and the pipes. to me the Bulgarian rhythms are very mysterious and to ever get a handle on this thing I am definitely going to need a tutor. Not so much of a problem for me with Gaita Gallega or Uilleann pipes, but I understand western music.\

Jeff
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I have a very nice old Kaba Gaida that never gets played. (Maybe from the 1950s or 60s? Sean Folsom would know, I got it from him.)

It's in E, the traditional key. Drone note E, chanter will play in E minor and E Major.

The bag is dried out but you only need to spritz it with water and it's airtight and plays fine. I've seriously thought about putting a non-traditional sort of bag on it, such as having Michael MacHarg make a big 'elkhide' bag for it, because it's kind of a hassle to have to spritz it every time I use it (not often nowadays).

Let me know if you're interested, and how much you might be able to play. I can make a video or recording of it maybe.

Thanks, Richard
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle