Contrabass chanter?

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
brad maloney
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Contrabass chanter?

Post by brad maloney »

Brass will kink unless you fill it with a solder, bend it, then melt out the solder again.
here's a good step by step on how to bend brass tubing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7ySuxiUvAY

Although, for a rackett like chanter, construct it from rackett plans, usually made by drilling holes in a piece of hardwood.

Or for design purposes square tubing could be used. easily cut and soldered at the bends.

A cylindrical bore sounds at 4x it's length so it's def feasible. Good luck and keep us posted
Play Happy
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

There seems to be a bit of confusion about the classification.
The Hamon chanter appears to be roughly 25 inches long, provided it has a cylindrical bore (as it should have, being a smallpipe chanter) it would be in the tenor range. The same goes for the long chanter of the Cornish bagpipes.
The same length with a tapered bore (like a French Grande Bourbonnaise) is soprano.
For a true bass instrument you would need twice the length, 50 inches with a cylindrical bore. For contrabass add another 25 inches.
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

CHasR wrote: Racketts, with their abnormally long, doubled back bores were designed to be played "In Consort", SATB style, the shortest, highest rackett carrying the most important melodic voice.
Or in mixed consort with the other indoor instruments. But in this case, Buzz city!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFfXS59U ... ata_player
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa