Smallpipes

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
benroeletsgo
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Smallpipes

Post by benroeletsgo »

Well, I've been doing a lot of reading and listening to both your comments on this and other sites as well as sound clips and youtube videos. I'm thinking of going with MacLellan Studio Pipes. I've read some wonderful things and I really like the sound and the fact that their mouthblown. I've tried bellows blown before and haven't the coordination for it (feels really strange...really really strange). I do play highland pipes a bit on the side as well so I think mouthblown will be best off for me. I am certainly located in the US (big woop wanna fight about it?) and have found a set I like for under $700 American Dollars. Here's another question 2 drones or three? I think I like three best.....
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

benroeletsgo wrote:Here's another question 2 drones or three? I think I like three best.....
My SSP has three drones, A, E, and A. I never play them solo without all three going. A, E, A sets up a harmonics series that, if perfectly tuned, makes you hear a drone an octave below the chanter that isn't really there.
Peter Duggan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

highland-piper wrote:My SSP has three drones, A, E, and A. I never play them solo without all three going.
Even for D tunes (without retuning the baritone to D)?
A, E, A sets up a harmonics series that, if perfectly tuned, makes you hear a drone an octave below the chanter that isn't really there.
But (unless you've got very strange SSP) that should be the bass drone...
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

Peter Duggan wrote:
highland-piper wrote:My SSP has three drones, A, E, and A. I never play them solo without all three going.
Even for D tunes (without retuning the baritone to D)?
A, E, A sets up a harmonics series that, if perfectly tuned, makes you hear a drone an octave below the chanter that isn't really there.
But (unless you've got very strange SSP) that should be the bass drone...
Yes; I misspoke. The auditory illusion is of a drone an octave lower than the bass, which is the same relationship found in nearly all other types of bagpipes. If you don't use the E drone then the illusion is gone and you hear the bass drone for what it is.