Taking pipes across the US border

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
brianholton
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Taking pipes across the US border

Post by brianholton »

Hi

I will be crossing the border from Canada into Vermont in a couple of weeks. Is there any reason why I shouldn't take my smallpipes with me?

I have heard stories about guitars being confiscated.

Friends who have crossed this border some years ago say it wasn't a problem then: the London US Embassy's website is not very helpful or informative, and the Edinburgh Consulate even less so. (I have tried ringing the Embassy helpline, but after twice being kept hanging on for much too long on a very expensive line, I was cut off before I could speak to anyone.)

Any recent experience?

thanks
b
brunokev

Re: Taking pipes across the US border

Post by brunokev »

I have taken bagpipes from the Us to Europe several times without problems, but the last time was in 2008.
elbowmusic
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm back in the uilleann piping world after a ten year hiatus. Uilleann piping chops, here I come!

I'm a smallpipe and Border pipe maker and we'll just see where that leads to.

Post by elbowmusic »

I cross the border several times a year with smallpipes and they've never asked to see them. From US to Canada and back.
-Nate Banton-
Smallpipes and Border Pipes http://www.natebanton.com
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

The potential problem is pipes mounted in ivory crossing international borders.

It's a strange thing: every year dozens of pipe bands, with hundreds of vintage ivory-mounted pipes, fly to Scotland to compete at the World Pipe Band Championships, and you never hear of a problem.

BUT there have been incidents in which lovely vintage pipes have been seized. I've read stories- don't know if they're true- about Customs officials breaking all the ivory mounts off c1900 Hendersons with hammers and giving the severely damaged pipes back. Other stories about the pipers never getting their pipes back and never getting any compensation for the loss of their $5,000 instruments.

There's an international document you're supposed to get, CITES, which allows you to legally take ivory across borders, but there have been stories of pipers armed with a CITES document in their hand having their pipes seized regardless, and never getting them back.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
magroibin

Post by magroibin »

The proper procedure for taking instruments and other valuables is to get a Canada Border Services Agency "Identification of Articles for Temporary Exportation" or Y38 card. It is usually green in colour. You can get this filled out at a Customs office or at the office at the border. Some info here:
http://www.markfeenstra.com/blog/2012/0 ... aphy-gear/

I have gotten "the heck" at the border for not having this card filled out and threatened with seizure of my guitar. At other times I have gone into the office at the border to make sure I have a Y38 done and they looked at me as if they were absolutely clueless about it all. Don't take the chance that you will run into someone having a bad day at the border...it only takes a few minutes to have the Border officer fill out the card before you cross over into the US.

They will record the name of the article, serial number or maker's stamp, as well as any make or model information. If there is no serial number they will want to affix a numbered sticker somewhere on the instrument. They sign and stamp it and then you're good to go!

Also, I also have taken a picture of the instrument...with the card...on the Custom office desk - just in case I ever loose the card on my travels.

There you go!
brianholton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brianholton »

Many thanks, all. Most informative: I will go the Y38 route, then, even though my pipes have no ivory mounts.