French half-closed fingering

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
anima
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

French half-closed fingering

Post by anima »

has anyone adapted a recorder or whistle to French half-closed fingering? Looking for something a little more quiet and portable since I am traveling a lot for work.

Jeff
MichaelLoos
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Re: French half-closed fingering

Post by MichaelLoos »

I'm not sure if it would work - it would definitely require more than just drilling a second thumb hole. It would certainly be easier to modify a practice chanter - you'll have to drill the bottom hand thumb hole and enlarge the high G and high A holes. Never tried it myself, though.
Jürgen Ross offers practice chanters for half-closed fingering (Schäferpfeife), these are tuned to C rather than G, and are not capable of overblowing (due to the cylindrical bore): http://dudelsackbau.de/index.php/practice-chanter
Alexander Tille offers Hümmelchen Smallpipes with half-closed fingering, tuned to D:
http://tille.de/ (> Instrumentenverkauf > Hümmelchen in D einbordunig (halbgeschlossene Griffweise)
I am quite sure he would also sell a chanter only.
If you have access to a lathe and the necessary tools (as well as having the technical know-how), here's a plan of a half-closed fingered chanter in D: http://dudy-gajdy.net/DOWNLOADS/Hummel_MP.pdf
Yuri

Post by Yuri »

It very probably would not work, indeed.
The problem is, with flues, if you close off too much of the lower fingerholes, the whistle (of whatever name) will simply overblow. (If you are lucky, that is. Normally it will squeak really terribly.)
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

If you're looking to alter an existing instrument so it plays in tune with half-closed fingering, I'd say your chances are pretty slim. If you're looking to adapt a whistle design to build an instrument that plays in tune with half-closed fingering, well that's a different matter. I could take a run at the design once the computer I use for whistle designs comes back from the shop. (Don't count on me to build it, though. You'd be waiting a looong time for that.)
anima

Post by anima »

just looking for something quiet and portable. I may actually go for that practice chanter - fairly reasonably priced. I wonder how quiet it is.
MichaelLoos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

anima wrote:I wonder how quiet it is.
Similar to a GHB practice chanter - definitely quieter than a whistle or recorder.
Claus von Weiss

Post by Claus von Weiss »

Ok, of course it's not the real thing, but it's surely worth a try:

http://www.bagpipe.de/wbc.php?sid=37944 ... 97&recno=1

I do own one myself, and for practice, when no real pipoe is around, it works out nicely.

Cheers
Claus
anima

Post by anima »

kinda pricey...