"Alternative" piping !?!

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
Kypfer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

"Alternative" piping !?!

Post by Kypfer »

For those who may not have met them, (like me, until this evening), check out the "Red Hot Chilli Pipers" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwrvHnYpwkk for some really "different" bagpiping :devil:
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
Brent Lyons
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: "Alternative" piping !?!

Post by Brent Lyons »

Kind of like Badpiper, but without the flames... :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxEienWi ... ata_player
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

The pipers in Red Hot Chilli Pipers are mainstream Highland pipers who have come up through the ordinary Pipe Band and Solos competition scene, people who have participated in that scene at the highest level.

For example one of the pipers is Craig Munro, a bagpipe maker, who had 10 years experience playing with some of the world's best Grade One bands, and who is an instructor at The College Of Piping and The National Piping Centre.

The founder of Red Hot Chilli Pipers, Stuart Cassells, grew up playing in the Grade One pipe band Vale Of Atholl.

Three of the band members have degrees from The Royal Scottish Academy Of Music And Drama.

Here you can hear them playing a tune often played by competition pipe bands (The Crooked Bridge), played exactly as they would in an ordinary Pipe Band, the snare drummer playing the same style he would in a pipe band (the snare drummer is in fact a champion competition Highland drummer)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFbXSKb0qEo

Having a guitarist playing along, and having everyone jumping about while playing, doesn't disguise the fact that the piping itself is high quality mainstream piping.

BTW it seems that they misspell the word "chili" , do they not? "Chilli", if such a word existed, would be pronounced something like "chee-yee".
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Kypfer

Post by Kypfer »

BTW it seems that they misspell the word "chili" , do they not? "Chilli", if such a word existed, would be pronounced something like "chee-yee".
... interesting observation :)

Maybe Chili Pipers was just a little too close to Chili Peppers for someone ... or maybe it's a play on words, chilli as in chilly - "cool" 8)
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Kypfer wrote: maybe it's a play on words, chilli as in chilly
Or maybe "chilli" is a British spelling? They do tend to put in double l's where Americans only have one (jewellery).
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Kypfer

Post by Kypfer »

Or maybe "chilli" is a British spelling?
... hadn't thought of that! A quick search shows the BBC uses "chilli" http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/chilli so that'll do for me :)
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I must admit, when I've seen the spelling "chili", I've just assumed it was a typo.
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

benhall.1 wrote:I must admit, when I've seen the spelling "chili", I've just assumed it was a typo.
They're both anglicized versions of the Spanish word "chile".
Deartháir don phaidir an port.