Croatian/Hungarian Bagpipes?

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
pigwhistle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Croatian/Hungarian Bagpipes?

Post by pigwhistle »

Hi Everyone.
I'm seeking information about Croatian/Hungarian Bagpipes. I've come across some pipes that I would dearly love to own and play, I think they are called 'Magyar Duda' although I found what appear to be the same type of pipes on a makers site – www.bagpipes.sk – (the only one I could find) under the name of 'Southern Slovakia Bagpipe' I've also found 'Ergerlander Bock'? which maybe the same type of pipe I can't tell exactly. Does anyone know if these are all the same type of pipe as I wouldn't like to order the wrong pipe, if I was able to buy that is. There is a player who's pipes and music I'm particularly keen on – Istvanfi Balazs – there are a few clips on YouTube if your interested in looking, here's one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PITLPH-Yq3E .
These are the type of pipes I'm after (preferably with bellows) and I would like to know more about them. Also does any know what keys/pitches these pipes usually come in I can't tell from the clips as the bass drone is very quiet, Eb or Bb maybe?
Any reply will be much appreciated,
thanks for reading, David.
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Re: Croatian/Hungarian Bagpipes?

Post by MichaelLoos »

The most competent person on this forum to answer your question would probably be Miklós Németh - unfortunately he hasn't been around for a while.
The name "magyar duda" literally means "Hungarian bagpipe". These are common in Hungary, as well as in parts of Slovakia, Croatia and Romania. There are several types which differ only slightly - the can be mouth- or bellows-blown and can have a straight or a folded bass drone. Technically, they are part of the "Carpathian" bagpipe family, which means they have a double bore chanter - the left bore having 6 fingerholes plus a thumbhole, the right bore has only one hole for the right pinkie. The left bore gives a mixolydian scale, while the top hole on the front is a flea-hole - this raises each fingered note by a semitone, and is also used for vibrato and trills. The right bore is called "kontra" and gives the tonic and the lower fourth, and is used as a rhythically changing drone (or a simple regulator).
Most commonly, these are nowadays pitched in "A", although instruments in other keys do exist - G is not too uncommon, Istvánfi plays an instrument in Bb.
The bass drone plays the tonic two octaves below the chanter's bell note, and is in fact usually very loud.
"Egerländer Bock" is a different animal altogether . It is a western Slav type bagpipe with a single chanter which has the same type of scale as the Czech dudy (Böhmischer Bock) but is higher in pitch (often Bb), mostly mouthblown, with a straight drone hanging in front of the player.
pigwhistle

Post by pigwhistle »

Thankyou Micheal for your reply, most of my queries have been answered as a result, I can now focus my search on the exact type of pipes that I want. I was fairly sure the pitch of Istvanfi's pipes were in Bb but am pleased to have it confirmed, Bb being a key I have an affinity with. If by any chance you have Istvanfi's contact details and are able to pass them on I would greatly appreciate it if you could send me a PM or e-mail -<dawright@tadaust.org.au> I've searched on the net to see if he has a website but to no avail. Do you know of any other players (on CD) who play this music on these pipes?
Regards, David.
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

I'm sorry, I have no contact details of Istvánfi. You could try contacting him through the Hungarian Bagpipe Band: dudazkr@gmail.com
You should have a look at their website: http://www.dudazenekar.hu/
Their CD is a must-have, IMHO. Istvánfi has three solo CDs, the second one "Toronyalnja" I like best. Another great CDs are "Magyar Dudasok" featuring several solo players, and "The Gift of the Elves" by Zoltan Szabo, which has music from the Hungarian-Croatian border region, played by a small band - this music sounds more Croatian than Hungarian, and features different bagpipes from that area.
The duda chanter in A is quite short - I find it a bit uncomfortable to play, although I have fairly small hands, but then, I'm mostly used to the span of the uilleann pipe chanter, more practice of the duda would certainly help. But if you have big hands, then a Bb chanter, which is even shorter, is probably not ideal for you.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

There's an eight-page article by Hugh Cheape on the Hungarian Duda in the current issue of Common Stock (journal of the Lowland and Border Pipers' Society).
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?