Adjusting Walsh Smallpipe Chanter Reed

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
MadmanWithaWhistle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Adjusting Walsh Smallpipe Chanter Reed

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

Hi Pipers,

I have a question about adjusting chanter reeds. I'm relatively new to the pipes and don't want to go messing with things that I could damage without determining the problem first, which may very well be my technique.

I've noticed that around the C and D of my chanter (an A chanter), I tend to get a harsher sound with my normal pressure on the bag, bordering on "burbling." Pushing a bit harder seems to correct this, but raises the pitch of my lowest drone, which I had to pull out nearly as far as it would go. I know Walsh sends out his pipes very well set-up, so the fact that my drones are so far out causes me to worry a bit. Pushing in the chanter reed with the same pressure brings the drones back to the middle of the hemp, but sharpens my chanter too much to play with other instruments. Are C and D inherently tricker, or do I need to adjust my chanter reed's apature? Or is there a way to lower the drone reed's pitch?

As an aside, Walsh cautions against playing them "too hard," which I assumed meant with too much pressure. Since I'm not a highland piper, I'm not really sure if what feels like a lot of pressure to me is really that much.

Anyway, I'm planning on contacting him but wanted to check here first to see if anyone had any thoughts before I go pestering a busy pipemaker.

Edit: I would also ask my teacher, but I'm off on summer break across the country.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Adjusting Walsh Smallpipe Chanter Reed

Post by pancelticpiper »

Sounds like one of those things that any experienced player could immediately diagnose and correct in person.

Because often it's just a blowing issue, and the experienced player has to actually play the set of pipes in question and try various pressures to get the pipes to do what the beginner is making them do.

It's amazing, the odd sounds beginners are able to get out of a set of pipes! Sometimes it's difficult for the experienced player to simulate what the beginner is doing, when the beginner is using a blowing pressure that's far outside of normal parameters.

I'm sure that your chanter reed, if it is still in original direct-from-John-Walsh condition, plays perfectly. It's simply a matter of finding the "sweet spot". Try playing the highest note (High A): if you blow too hard it will cut out (go silent) and if you blow too soft it will break into a crackling noise.

I have a lot of experience with John Walsh chanters and reeds, because for several years I played a set of Walsh "Smallpipes in A 2000", and for several years I've been playing a 100 year old set of smallpipes, which came without a chanter, so I had John make a chanter for it. Both Walsh chanters are in A, both with the Walsh reeds that came with them, and both perform perfectly.

They're unusually forgiving pressure-wise and should be ideal for a beginner. To get them to cut out you have to blow ridiculously hard, to get them to crackle you have to play them far too softly. In other words there's a large forgiving pressure window in which they play well. Many other smallpipe reeds are less forgiving, having a narrow window of required pressure, and requiring much precision in the blowing.

You might want to shut off the drones for now and play the chanter only, using an electronic tuner to help you find the correct pressure. All Walsh chanters should come right on pitch to A=440, so playing while keeping the needle straight up on an electronic tuner will force you to use the correct normal pressure. (Of course for this test to be valid the reed has to be seated in the reed seat in its original way. If you've moved the reed up or down in the seat then you'll be forced to use incorrect pressure to play on pitch.)

Once you can blow the chanter reliably (playing scales and tunes while keeping the chanter on pitch) it might be time to start using the drones. Introducing the drones one at a time might be best: it's overwhelming sometimes for a new player, because there's so much going on they can't parse out where the problem lies.

The drones likewise originally came in perfect adjustment. Hopefully no one has mucked with the reeds. If a newbie starts mucking around with reeds, all bets are off! And it might take an experienced player some time to get the set back playing right.

I should add that I have more experience with Walsh smallpipes than just the two chanters I've owned. On many occasions friends have had Walsh smallpipes which I've tried, and on many other occasions I've been out at a festival or Highland Games where a booth has Walsh smallpipes for sale, and I and other pipers have picked them up and played them. On occasion two pipers have picked up two sets and they play in tune together.

Of course it's possible that your reeds came maladjusted, but if so it's the first time I've heard of it. Every time I've heard of a Walsh set not working right it's been in the hands of a beginner.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Re: Adjusting Walsh Smallpipe Chanter Reed

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

Thanks Richard! I was hoping you'd reply given your experience with Walshes. (It was on your good advice that I picked up my first set). It sounds like I'm definitely just not using enough pressure, so I'll experiment with that before I go mucking with anything delicate. I think my main worry was that I would damage the pipes by blowing too hard, but it sounds like I'd have to be way too vigorous to risk that. Thanks again for your input!