Welsh Bagpipes Instructions Request

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
Seosamh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Welsh Bagpipes Instructions Request

Post by Seosamh »

Hi. :) I am taking up a type of Welsh bagpipes, and I am looking for instructions on them. They contain a pipe with wooden biscuits which you slide up and down the pipe to tune them. There are no drone pipes on this set. They don't require as much wind power as most bagpipes, and they are not as loud. I have been unable to find anything on this type of bagpipe on the web so far. I am told they're Welsh. Your assistance would be very much appreciated.
Dominic Allan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Welsh Bagpipes Instructions Request

Post by Dominic Allan »

It sound like you have a set of shuttle pipes :
I think the shuttle drones are C17 French in origin, adopted by various smallpipe makers in modern times to creat a more compact set of pipes. No Welsh connection as far as I know.
Stupid question : Are you sure that you were told they were "Welsh"? Might they have said "Walsh" ie: made by John Walsh?
Seosamh

Post by Seosamh »

Those are exactly the same ones I was talking about. They said they were invented by someone named Walsh. That's likely what they meant to say. Thank you for your response. I was looking for resources on them. I already started the chanter for the GHB, but I was going to try these (the shuttle pipes) ones.
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

AHA! clever you, Dominic~ ! :wink: I was stumped trying to figure this out. :thumbsup:
thought its maybe be some kind of [Alban] Faustian experiment...

Although.... sliders on a chanter, hmmm....might be an interesting variation of the adjustable intonation screws on modern Bohemian chanters......Naaah!
Dominic Allan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dominic Allan »

I suspect that they play with standard highland fingering , so any of the GHB repertoire would work on them.
Chas - how about some sort of swanee whistle bagpipe?